Gardenia, Cape Jasmine, Gandharaj 'Frostproof'

Gardenia jasminoides

Family: Rubiaceae
Genus: Gardenia (gar-DEEN-ya) (Info)
Species: jasminoides (jaz-min-OY-deez) (Info)
Cultivar: Frostproof

Tyler, Texas

Arlington, Virginia

Glen Allen, Virginia

On Aug 15, 2015, wendymadre from Petersburg, VA wrote:

The Frostproof Gardenia does pretty well in my Zone 7A garden in Petersburg, Virginia. I bought a one-gallon pot of Frostproof about five years ago, and found that there were four little plants in the pot. I planted a couple of them (and gave the others away), and the one that gets more direct sun grew faster and blooms more than the one in the shade. The leaves are narrower than that of most gardenias, and so less lush, but still pretty. The blossoms are full and fragrant. The two gardenias managed through our winters fine until this last winter, 2015, when it got unusually cold, and they both got frost-burned. The larger gardenia in the sunnier location was more exposed and burned worse. The foliage has fully recovered, but there have been almost no blossoms this season. This ne... read more

On Jan 3, 2013, claire25 from Salisbury, MD wrote:

This seems easy to grow--it's my first and only gardenia and I've had it for a couple years. I have it outside, in full sun on the south side of my house in my naturally extremely sandy soil. It gets supplemental watering only during severe droughts--I basically don't mess with it other than raking in one "dose" of Hollytone around it in the spring. It seems to have a fairly short flowering period, but it is a handsome evergreen shrub that smells like heaven when it does bloom. I am planning on taking cuttings this spring to spread more of this plant around my yard.

On Jan 16, 2012, Apalmtree from New York, NY wrote:

Frostproof gardenias have done really well for me in New York City. Mine survived one winter that went down to 5F and still look green today after a low temperature of 12F this winter in early January. I get lots of blooms in late spring and sometimes I get scattered blooms in the summer as well. I dont give it any extra care.
It seems like they start to get light damage below 10F, but bounce back well making them great in zone 7 and up.

On Aug 17, 2011, Southernbell421 from Ocala, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I planted the Frostproof in March 2011. The location I chose to put it in was partial to full shade and as of August 2011 it has done very well. I water it lightly every day and it has been happy with that. Living in the deep South I only have to worry about the cold temps that can hit my area (which can hit in the low 20's) so I won't know until Winter time how bad it can be bothered by the cold. I am hoping with it being planted under a canopy of oak trees that it will be okay. It flowered once for me this Summer and the flowers were pretty. I love Gardenia plants and have several of the Mystery Gardenia also and they have done very well and gotten large.

On Jul 22, 2010, plantfreak78 from Rolesville, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This plant performed quite well for our nursery in our display gardens for the past three years. It does discolor a little bit during the winter but has still survived even in an unprotected location. Blooming is heaviest in early to mid-June with a light sprinkling of repeat blooms through summer.

On Jun 9, 2010, esteve59 from Annapolis, MD wrote:

Mine is about a 18" bush but has not flowered....maybe next year ??