Gardenia, Cape Jasmine, Gandharaj 'Grif's Select'

Gardenia jasminoides

Family: Rubiaceae
Genus: Gardenia (gar-DEEN-ya) (Info)
Species: jasminoides (jaz-min-OY-deez) (Info)
Cultivar: Grif's Select

Provides winter interest

Wilmington, Delaware

Tulsa, Oklahoma

On Oct 25, 2013, tasintuck from Pawcatuck, CT wrote:

This turn out to be Zone 7a here by the new 2013 definitions; used to be 6a. I bought this gardenia from Park's maybe in 2006 or 7. It is planted in full sun but protected from the west and north wind. Since planting, the lowest temp. has been -21 C (-6 F). The plant browned severely then but over 2 years grew back from the base and is now its full 4 ft height. It sustains some browning every winter on the exposed side of the plant. So do not prune, except to shape after flowering, until spring, to cut off any damaged branches, then. In early summer here it blooms extensively for about a month, with the expected pungent sweet aroma. And the glossy deep green foliage contrasts well against the roses and spirea around it and has made an excellent foundation planting.

On Nov 30, 2008, RonDEZone7a from Wilmington, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

I am in Wilmington, Delaware (Zone 7a) which is north of typical gardenia growing areas. I have tried several "hardy" varieties but "Grif's Select" has done the best for me. After the cold winter of 2008/2009, my "Grif's Select" Gardenia was still 90% green by spring. I have it planted in a sheltered location with southern exposure but some of my other "hardy" gardenias had similar micro-climates and did not do as well.

I purchased it from Gardens OyVey and followed their instructions for incorporating shredded pine bark and humus into my clay soil. My plant has acclimated nicely using their techniques.

One last thing about "Grif's Select" - it gets fairly large compared to some gardenias. 4 feet high and wide is not unusual.

On Jun 8, 2008, woodensandals from Merrick, NY wrote:

I bought Grif's Select at the nursery when I saw it advertised as cold hardy in my zone. Most Gardenias aren't. However, this little shrub isn't doing well at all despite good soil, full sun, and regular watering. I'm going to try to revive the little guy this year and wrap it up next winter. If anyone has any tips, please post.