Bleeding Heart Vine, Golden Tears

Dactylicapnos scandens

Family: Papaveraceae (pa-pav-er-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dactylicapnos
Species: scandens (SKAN-dens) (Info)
Synonym:Dicentra scandens
Synonym:Dicentra thalictrifolia

Pale Yellow

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Albany, California

Stockton, California

Holiday, Florida

Ocoee, Florida

Baltimore, Maryland (2 reports)

Helena, Montana

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

Gilmer, Texas

Arlington, Washington

Artondale, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

On May 5, 2011, MTVineman from Helena, MT (Zone 5a) wrote:

Supposedly, this plant is not supposed to be hardy in my zone. I am in a zone 4 to 5 and this plant/vine does excellent here. I am also very high up in the Rocky Mountains of Montana and that doesn't seem to faze it either. I've had rather good luck growing many plants that are not supposed to be hardy here. I planted my Dicentra scandens 'Golden Tears' from seed which I kept in the freezer for a month. They came right up and now I have a beautiful perennial vine that everyone asks about and wants cuttings of. No one here has obviously ever seen one. It's like I try to tell everyone here in Helena and Montana......Experiment! You'll be pleasantly surprised!

On Aug 13, 2009, weedsgone from Gilmer, TX wrote:

I purchased this plant from a nursery 6 weeks ago. It is growing very fast, but not blooming at all. I was told at the nursery that it would produce a white heart with a red "drop" coming out of the heart. Do I need to prune it back to get it to bloom? Will it bloom in the fall? There were no tags on this plant to tell me the info I need.

On Jul 24, 2007, PudgyMudpies from Stockton, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a very aggressive vine that is totally unfazed by being in our hot CA full sun. It is planted on a vine wall with a clematis and Cross Vine "Dragon Lady" and the Dicentra has completely engulfed them both. I am not concerned though, the Cross Vine and Clematis are poking through where they need to and thriving, so the dicentra is not choking them out. And another plus is that while the Cross Vine and Clematis are only seasonal bloomers, the Dicentra blooms all the time and takes up the slack in the color department. We had 2 weeks straight of night freezing last winter and the Dicentra came back from the roots, no problem.

On Aug 21, 2004, GreenGiant76 from Ipswich
United Kingdom wrote:

I have had no luck at all growing this plan from seed :( Neither, does it seem, have my local garden centre, they have had to cancel my order as they have been unable to grow any either.

I'm going to keep trying anyway!

On Jul 9, 2003, stevenova from Newcastle
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

From seed, this plant is so easy! I now have several plants growing up trellis that flower every year without fail.

On Oct 29, 2002, peterb wrote:

This plant grows well in Scotland, UK due to a maritime climate it produces fruit. I have plants that originate from high altitude in the N.W., part of its range, if the tubers are 3" below the surface they will survive at least -20 Deg. C.

On Oct 6, 2002, Donnaj from Palmyra, VA wrote:

I planted this vine early summer 2001, and it grew to about 4 feet with a few clusters of yellow hearts. It died back with the first frost. Early spring of 2002, the vine sprouted and was killed by an early frost. Within two weeks, it resprouted with many shoots and began flowering early summer. It is now early October, and the vine covers a four foot fence with delicate vines approx. 15 feet long and has hundreds of yellow pendulous clusters of flowers. It flowers non-stop until hit by frost. This is a non-invasive, delicate looking but hardy perennial that seems to thrive on neglect. It gets morning sun and its roots stay wet in the area it is planted. I am currently trying to root cuttings and will let you know how that goes.

On Aug 30, 2001, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Unlike other Bleeding Hearts, this plant is a
vine. The yellow or white flowers are produced summer
through fall. Provide a growing area with afternoon shade
and a moist but well-drained soil. The plant is native to