Tomato 'Break O' Day'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Break O' Day
Additional cultivar information:(aka Break O Day)
Registered or introduced: 1932
» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Ferment seeds before storing

Hill City, Kansas

Benton, Kentucky

Elgin, Texas

On Apr 6, 2011, tdscpa from Hill City, KS wrote:

I really like to grow this variety in a container (5 gal.), fall and early spring in my greenhouse and outside in summer. Taste has been as good in a container as in the ground. Most tomatoes do not seem to taste as good to me grown in a container as in the ground. This one is early, with a great taste, and good production.

On Aug 10, 2010, passiflora_pink from Central, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

In my central Alabama garden this variety produced more irregular tomatoes than did adjacent Marglobes, to which it is supposedly related. They were juicy with a colorful yellow flush at the stem end but the flavor was not as good as my Marglobes and others in the garden. I won't grow it next year.

On Jul 10, 2010, b54red from Dothan, AL wrote:

After reading great things about this tomato I tried several this year. I got very few fruits from them because they seem to have almost no tolerance to fusarium wilt which killed all of them. Taste was just ok and the tomatoes were small. This one will not make my planting list again because there are too many others that have better disease resistance and better flavor.

On Jun 9, 2010, azruss from Marana, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

This variety has earned an annual spot in my spring tomato garden. Early mid season, prolific, manageable size, BER-free and outstanding old time red tomato taste. Some cracking, but the flavor and production more than out weigh it.

On Jun 12, 2008, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Very good flavor, productive, easy to grow/support. Plants only got about 3 ft tall or so for me. A great "main cropper" red.

On Aug 29, 2006, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is an old commercial tomato that has gained the status of Commercial Heirloom. It was introduced in 1931. The result of a cross between Marglobe and Marvana in 1923.

This is one of the '100 Heirloom Tomatoes For the American Garden" written about by Dr. Carolyn Male.

My own personal experience with this tomato is quite positive. It has lush foliage and tons of fruits. Despite heat and humidity, it produces tons of tomatoes here in west KY. The production outshines some of the hybrid 'stand bys' that many in this area depend on.

Seeds can be found through several commercial sources that carry heirlooms
I find the flavor full and rich, the interiors are meaty, skins are thin, but it withstands cracking well. We've had several downpour... read more

On Nov 24, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This cultivar was released commericially in the early 30's. Parents include the popular Marglobe and in fact is very much a larger Marglobe.