PlantFiles: Cupid's Bow, Hot Water Plant, Magic Flower, Mother's Tears, Nut-orchid, Orchid Pansy, Widow's Tears
Achimenes 'Pulcherrima'

Family: Gesneriaceae (ges-ner-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Achimenes (a-KIM-ih-neez) (Info)
Cultivar: Pulcherrima

Thumbnail #3 of Achimenes  by ApopkaJohn

By ApopkaJohn
Thumbnail #4 of Achimenes  by ApopkaJohn

Positive EMOH On Jun 28, 2014, EMOH wrote:

I grow this plant in zone 5 but as an annual that I keep over. Every fall as the plant goes dormant, I trim it and take it to my basement. There is some heat down there, but not much. Around the end of March or early April, I bring it upstairs, put it in a window and start watering. Some years it starts quickly, and some slowly. Once this area has warmed up (mid-May) I put them outside and fertilize them. They start blooming mid-summer and don't stop! They make a nice hanging basket. They don't mind some early morning sun up here, but not the hot PM sun. When blooming they are beautiful. Before that the leaves are quite attractive. When they are overgrown, in the spring use a fork to tease out the corms, which are fairly shallow, and repot them. From one plant given to my father by his sister, my three sisters and I have many pots of them!

Positive ApopkaJohn On Jul 8, 2010, ApopkaJohn from Apopka, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Recieved small pencil size tubors that were slow to sprout but came up outside in a large pot. The foliage was tender and slow growing without fertilizer. Leaves got burn spots by watering in the day time. Probably better as an indoor pot plant.

Midland City, Alabama