PlantFiles: Devil's Trumpet, Jimsonweed, Common Thorn-apple
Datura stramonium

Genus: Datura (duh-TOO-ruh) (Info)
Species: stramonium (stra-MON-ee-um) (Info)

» View all varieties of Brugmansias

Violet/Lavender

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

By dave

Thumbnail #5 of Datura stramonium by kennedyh

Thumbnail #6 of Datura stramonium by kennedyh

Thumbnail #7 of Datura stramonium by kennedyh

Neutral ladybiker1300 On Sep 19, 2014, ladybiker1300 from (Zone 2a) wrote:

I've never grown datura, but today, I became aware of it's benefits for treating asthma.

I'm aware that this plant is potentially deadly for many reasons. My research has brought me here because like many of you, I'm preparing my household in case of disaster - an event which might cause my husband's meds to become unavailable for prolonged a period could be just as deadly to him.

So, with that said, I hope to understand it's measured use with more clarity.

As a side note, I'm NOT in the least bit interested in it's recreational use. This world is filled with unwanted apparitions and I don't need any more (smiles).

Happy gardening to you all!

Neutral Gwydionalder On Sep 15, 2013, Gwydionalder from Williamson, AZ wrote:

While the Datura species is beautiful and I truly enjoy seeing them growing wild all across our Arizona High Desert, I wanted to echo the warning about not ingesting or smoking any part of this species. If you want to use a naturopathic approach to asthma then buy something where Datura/Jimson Weed is used appropriately in an over-the-counter asthma preparation like Barter's Powder, Green Mountain Asthmatic Compound, or Haywood's Powder, . Dosage is critical and as wildcrafting does not give reliable concentrations it is highly unwise to experiment with this plant.The entire species carries Tropane Belladonna Alkaloids i.e. Hysocamine, Atropine, and Scopalomine in its parts in widely varying concentrations (even in the same plant) . Datura plants can be very dangerous around young children that are still 'tasting' their environments, as children are more susceptible than adults to the toxic effects of anticholinergic agents. Datura has, for eons, been used as an Entheogen by native populations and foolish thrill-seeking teens have also tried it, often to their great detriment. As an Entheogen Datura requires a skilled Shaman or practitioner to insure that the correct set, setting, guiding, and dosage are used. The hallucinations that come with its use as a recreational drug are often terrifying and can leave lasting scars on the psyche. If you are interested in more information regarding Entheogens I highly recommend reading Huston Smith's book on the subject. That being said, if you desire to achieve altered states of consciousness you are always better drumming, meditating, dancing or anything other than the the use of substances natural or artificial.

Negative WillysWoodPile On Jan 26, 2013, WillysWoodPile from Kalamazoo, MI wrote:

This plant is VERY dangerous. I have experience using this plant to "get high" when I was younger for about 2 summers. Even as hardcore drug users we all decided to stop using this. This is one plant that can easily kill you.
To the person who says they used it for asthma "medicine": Do NOT use this stuff for any reason. It is way too dangerous! Again, I have experience using this plant to get high. This is a plant that should be outlawed and eradicated in my opinion.

Neutral BlackLotus1987 On Mar 10, 2010, BlackLotus1987 from Villa Alemana
Chile wrote:

Hi! This plant is very easy to grow in my area (zone 9)
but is a dangerous plant if you have kids and some pets

i know Datura stramonium var. tatula form. bernhardii
(white + violet / purple flower) plant purple, spiny fruit

and Datura stramonium var. stramonium form. stramonium
(white flower, green plant), spiny fruit

Here is a page with the complete Datura genus identification

Positive Brug_Hugger On Mar 20, 2009, Brug_Hugger from Mathews, VA wrote:

Zone 7A/7B right on t/line. I grow DATURA STRAMONIUM, which grows wild around here. This has to be one of my favorites to grow.
Pests can be annoying ... Leafhoppers, & the Hornworm. I've had plants grow 1 to 5 ft. tall & just as wide if not wider, depending on which ones I pick to takecare of.
(I have hundreds that pop up each year & choose the one's that'll be babied).
The flowers are white w/a little bit of purple in t/throat & is very fragrant . Blooms early evening. Seed pods are very SPIKEY. Self seeds with no problems. This plant is an awesome site to see when she's in full bloom!
She's very HARDY, weather it be frost or several hundred seedlings
popping up after useing weed killer....a week later. I've had a 1ft. plant give several seed pods & t/seeds were viable. An amazing specimen to grow!

I DO NOT SUGGEST THIS PLANT BE USED FOR- Medicinal Purposes. (She's very DEADLY!!)
But at t/same time is Hypnoctic!
A very interesting plant, to be Respected.

Positive donicaben On Jul 1, 2008, donicaben from Ogdensburg, NY wrote:

Easy to grow from seed. The flowers are gorgeous and smell heavenly.

I'm going to overwinter indoors since it's a bit too cold for her in zone 4. :-) She's so gorgeous that she's worth the basement space. :-D

Positive gardenbeads On May 16, 2006, gardenbeads from Warren, MI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I grew Angel's trumpet (that is what it was marked at the nursery) for the first time last year. My plants were exactly as the picture by pdwren in this forum. I made sure to sprinkle the seed around before I cut the plants down and they have reseeded proliferatively. The plant was virtually carefree except for occasional deadheading. These plants are not commonly grown in this area, but they grew very well and actually became like small shrubs, filling in the background of my flower beds. I liked the fact that the flowers stayed open in the evening. Very beautiful specimen.

Negative melody On Aug 13, 2004, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

In my garden, it is just another invasive weed that needs dealing with. I burn my vegetable patch every Fall to try and get rid of as many seeds as possible, but still have untold numbers germinate.

Positive frostweed On May 28, 2004, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

We love the Jimsonweed, It is wonderful watching the flowers unfold in the evening and the scent is truly lovely. Some years they are larger and stronger than other years, but we allways look forward to them for their beauty.

Neutral Lodden On Jan 24, 2004, Lodden from Mrslet
Denmark wrote:

I live in Denmark, Europe, and I had the plant outside all summer. I didnt think I could have it outside in the wintertime, but Ill try that next year. I got alot of seeds, so if it dies its ok. Usually we have to take both Datura and Brugmansia inside, cut them down and take them out the next year.

Positive Michaelp On Nov 11, 2003, Michaelp from Glendale, UT (Zone 5a) wrote:

smoking the flowers [in small amounts-2-4 puffs]works better than my asthma inhaler-and calms you down too--

Neutral Monocromatico On Oct 27, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

It grows spontaneously in every place with some fertile soil. Within one month you can go from bare earth to ground covered with this plant, and blooming! Extremely invasive, but I would let some of those grow in my garden, even if so, since I find the flowers very beautiful. I can dig some plants later; I need exercise anyway.

Positive BernJ On Jan 12, 2003, BernJ wrote:

I and some neighbors grew D. stramonium in Saskatoon, Canada where temperatures were as low as -45F. And it seeded itself the next year. I also saw low growing Datura, as a roadside weed, in Lhasa, Tibet.

Negative AmyD On Nov 16, 2002, AmyD wrote:

Be careful when planting this flower when you have children because if they happen to ingest it they will hallucinate for a few days. It may even kill them. My brother almost died because of this plant and he is still at the hospital. There have been many cases of teenagers eating this plant and dying so I highly suggest you do not plant this flower.

Neutral poppysue On Sep 21, 2001, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

Datura stramonium may also be known as Jamestown weed, stinkweed, Thorn Apple, or Apple of Peru. Plants are branching and grow 3-6 feet tall. Large green leaves are hairy and have irregular, toothed margins, similar in shape to an oak leaf. The trumpet-shaped flowers are 3-4 four inches long, white or sometimes lavender. They open at night facing upwards attracting moths and insects for pollination. The fruit are spiny and stand erect in the axils of the branches. Jimson weed re-seeds heavily and is listed as a noxious weed in several states.

Datura stramonium var. tatula has pale lavender flowers and a deeper purple throat. Stems have purplish coloring. D. stamonium var. tatula form bernhardii has deeper purple coloring.

Datura stramonium form labilis - is similar but has both spiny and smooth fruit on the same plant.

Datura stramonium var. inermis has smooth fruit.

Neutral jody On Nov 3, 2000, jody from MD &, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

There are 8 species in this genus, either annuals or short lived perennials. They grow to about 6' and gets flowers that are 3" long and shaped like a trumpet. Flowers in mid summer to autumn. Best cultivated in full sun with moist but well drained, rich soil. This plant is poisonous. Propagate from seed. The stramonium species is hardy zones 7-11.

Jones, Alabama
Glendale, Arizona
Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)
Prescott, Arizona