PlantFiles: Ornamental Mullein, Verbascum
Verbascum 'Southern Charm'

Family: Scrophulariaceae (skrof-yoo-larr-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Verbascum (ver-BASK-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Southern Charm

Rose/Mauve
Coral/Apricot
Cream/Tan

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By Happenstance

By Zarebeth
Thumbnail #7 of Verbascum  by Zarebeth

Positive SovereignMan On Jul 27, 2012, SovereignMan from Watford
United Kingdom wrote:

A magnificent specimen of Mullein, Verbascum grows on my municipal allotment. 6 feet tall but at five feet the stem went horizontal and described a semircle before going straight up for another 12 inches. it now has a crown of flower spikes.

I expect to gather thousands of seeds in August/Sep.

Positive SEalaska On May 27, 2011, SEalaska from Sitka, AK wrote:

Wonderful perennial, all 4 started from seed survived 2 winters so far in Sitka, Alaska. Handled rain quite well but may still move a few since we had dryer weather than usual.

Positive raelynne On Jan 8, 2008, raelynne from Beatrice, NE wrote:

LOVE this plant...I get so many complements on it! Mine have lasted three years so far, in unpredictable SE Nebraska weather. Last year I did have three volunteer plants come up. My definite favorite - easy hardy and gorgeous!

Positive kqcrna On May 3, 2007, kqcrna from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

I also wintersowed this last year with terrific results. They bloomed all summer in their first year from seed. Absolutely beautiful, some were pink, some purple, and some a coppery yellow.

I don't know about self-sowing. I have no volunteers coming up, and, according to all sources I can find, they are sterile. I couldn't find any seeds on my six plants, and I did search for them.

Of those six, they are all back this spring and starting to bloom already. This might be my new favorite flower.

Karen

Positive redhed4nu On Jan 4, 2006, redhed4nu from Burchard, NE (Zone 5b) wrote:

Beautiful! Started easily from seed; I received many complements from neighbors and visitors about these plants...Will start more seed for this coming growing season. Very pleased.

Positive julie88 On Aug 8, 2005, julie88 from Muscoda, WI (Zone 4b) wrote:

This season I started many annuals and perennials using the 'Winter Sow' method of sowing the seeds in covered containers and placing them outside to basically fend for themselves through the winter. Southern Charm was one of those 'experiments'.

To my utter delight, it performed beautifully. Blooming profusely for me this first year. Since I sit on a line that straddles Z4b and Z5a, I have no idea whether 'Southern Charm' will survive our extreme (and unpredictable!) winter weather.

I believe the most positive attribute I can see in this plant is that it *grows* in soil nearly 100% sand...plus the colors of the flowers are strikingly romantic and sentimental. Like shimmering 'silk.' If I find seeds after the blooms have stopped I hope to save a few and WS them again.

I'm anxious to see my plants gain the stature of those in the pics posted here.

~julie~

Positive jamie68 On Jul 13, 2005, jamie68 from Vancouver, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Lovely plant!!! Really easy to grow as well!!

Positive Zarebeth On Jul 9, 2005, Zarebeth from Circle Pines, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

This was even more beautiful than I had hoped! Beautiful colors, graceful and long lasting.

Positive celtic_dolphin On Jun 4, 2005, celtic_dolphin from Boone, NC (Zone 4b) wrote:

I just LOVE this flower! It bloomed well the first year from seed, but this second year it's really out-performed all of my expectations. Not only did it come back bigger and better after a rather difficult winter and several late Spring frosts, but the bloom spikes are huge and covered in bloom. I can't recommend it enough!

Neutral Isanti On May 19, 2005, Isanti from Isanti, MN wrote:

I'm not to sure about this plant as of yet. Although this is zoned differently, here in Minnesota, it grows alongside of ditches on the back dirt roads, they are all one color, yellow and grow tall. The tag stated that this plant will sirvive -30- -40 degrees. 24 tall,18 wide. So i will take chance. I like the different colors. I also have a Empress Tree, not zoned for Minnesota, and one out of 8 grew, it's now over 12 feet high and growing strong!

Positive Noodles On Jun 27, 2003, Noodles from Olympia, WA wrote:

Easily propagated by root cuttings as well as stem cuttings. I did not see that option in your propagation method list. Very long bloom time (Western WA's relatively cool summers). Beautiful and unusual subdued colors similar to those in an antique summer dress, as one neighbor commented.

Positive Terry On Mar 8, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

'Southern Charm' is a hybrid strain easily grown from seed, with blooms of creamy antique white, palest melon, and dusky rose--all centered with smoky, purple stamens. Each blossom lasts just a day, but each plant produces multiple spikes for several weeks of bloom.

Often flowers the first year; after that, flowers appear in late spring and again in late summer if cut back to the ground after first flowering. Cut back the foliage at the same time to encourage new growth.

A short-lived perennial (typically 2-3 years), it will self-seed if some spikes are left intact, or can be propagated by cuttings in early spring. Should be situated in well-drained soil in full sun to part shade.

Sitka, Alaska