Crinum Lily, Powell Lily
Crinum x powellii

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Crinum (KRY-num) (Info)
Species: x powellii

Salem, Oregon

North Augusta, South Carolina

Orangeburg, South Carolina

On Jan 28, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This is one of the hardiest crinums. I've read several credible reports of this being reliably hardy in the ground to Zone 6 in Berrien Springs, MI, and to Zone 5b in Westfield, IN and Platte Co, MO.

I've also read that hardy crinum bulbs need to be at least two inches in diameter before planting if they're to make it through the winter near the northern limit of their hardiness, in this case Z5-6.

I've read several disparaging comments about the flowers of c. x powellii 'Roseum' being the smallest of crinum flowers and not worth the garden space that its prolific foliage requires---but I haven't grown it myself.

On Oct 20, 2006, raydio from Bessemer City, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is an old hybrid descended from C. moorei and C. bulbispermum. It was introduced as long ago as 1888.

It is generally sterile as a seed parent, but success with fertilizing other cultivars with the pollen has been reported.

While the commonly available form has flowers 2-3 inches wide, it is still humbly pretty and easy to grow. With care, it blooms repeatedly from spring to fall.

X powellii 'Roseum' sports flowers that are more open and have a deeper rose color.

'Cecil Houdyshel' (developed in the 1930s) is a very floriferous selection and 'Claude Davis' (a cross of x powellii and C. yemense) is a deeper color than x powellii.

There is a pure white one (x powellii 'Album', sometimes listed as 'Alba') which has... read more

On Aug 2, 2006, BamaBelle from Headland, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

I received three of these in pots. Before I could get them in the ground, they put up bloom stalks. Since crinums do not like to be disturbed, I decided to wait till they finished flowering before planting them...they are still flowering! And they have put up pups in the pots. One plant has six babies, another has four babies. The third plant is younger and has not bloomed nor put up pups.

In this part of the country, crinums grow like wildfire. Start a few in a bed, and before you know it, you have a full bed of crinums. But, they do NOT like to be disturbed. If you repot them or move them, do not expect them to bloom or pup for a while.

On Nov 5, 2004, rcn48 from Lexington, VA (Zone 6a) wrote:

We have Crinum powellii growing in our Zone 6a garden for the last 2 yrs. In fact, it is in bloom right now, Nov 5, 2004...granted, we have not had a frost yet this year, which is highly unusual. It begins blooming for us in the early summer, then again in the fall.

On Aug 29, 2004, StAndrew from Lutherville Timonium, MD wrote:

I purchased the bulb almost two years ago. It was a relatively small bulb, so I planted it in a 12 inch plastic container. The first year, it grew well enough I guess, but no flowers. I figured the bulb needed to mature, so it was no concern. I live north of Baltimore, so I let it over winter indoors near a window with southern exposure ... watering just enough to keep it alive. It continued to grow, but more on the spindley side. The following spring, I cut it back to about six inches and gave it to a friend in Northest Ohio.

It is growing well with plenty of side shoots, but no sign of a flower stalk. It gets at least 8 hours of full sun and is watered well.

On Jun 27, 2004, Wingnut from Spicewood, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Beautiful foliage and blooms. I love the shade of pink they are. I got about half a dozen bulbs in trade about three years ago and have over 20 now.

These are SO easy to grow. I just put mine in the end of one of my raised vegetable beds with a little cow manure and they've taken off. They get absolutely no other fertilizer except cow manure. And they can take neglect just fine! I didn't plant the veggie garden last year, so they didn't even get watered. They didn't bloom much, but did survive remarkably well in our hot Texas summers despite being in absolutely FULL sun, like 9am to 9pm full sun.

This year, I've been taking better care of them (which means simply regular watering LOL!). Right now, the clump is about 5' or 6' in diameter. I wasn't ... read more

On Dec 10, 2003, dogbane from New Orleans, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Hortus Third lists this plant as a hybrid of C. bulbispermum x C. Moorei with listed cultivars 'Album', Haarlemense', 'Krelagii' and 'Roseum'.

On Sep 2, 2001, eltel from Macclesfield, CHESHIRE (Zone 8a) wrote:

Crinum powellii, a native of southern Africa, produces a bulb up to 6 inches (15cm) in diameter from which emerge long (up 6 feet) strap like leaves, followed by a tall (up to 6) flower spike. The spike will carry 8 to twelve individual pale pink flowers. A number of hybrids have been produced, including dark pink and white versions.