False Beech, Coigue

Nothofagus dombeyi

Family: Fagaceae (fag-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Nothofagus (noth-oh-FAG-us) (Info)
Species: dombeyi (DOM-bee-eye) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

USDA Zone 8a: to -12.2 °C (10 °F)

USDA Zone 8b: to -9.4 °C (15 °F)

USDA Zone 9a: to -6.6 °C (20 °F)

USDA Zone 9b: to -3.8 °C (25 °F)

USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F)

USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

On Sep 6, 2013, Silverspade from Seattle, WA wrote:

Nothofagus dombeyi is suitably adapted to the Pacific Northwest. My 4" cutting is 20' tall in about 5-6 years.
Narrowly, upward arching, it has a gothic effect on the landscape. For sure, this plant requires moisture all year round. Summers here in Seattle are dry , so irrigation is necessary, but not to excess. A position with an irrigation system would work fine for it.
We had one winter of mild temperatures well into early december, than an Artic cold blast from Alaska did damage to it, on the main trunk, but recovered the following spring/ summer. Other marginal material were damaged as well,,mainly because nothing was hardened off due to the late warm season.
A somewhat protected spot , say on the east side of a structure would be appropriate.
... read more

On Jun 11, 2010, runnow from Sevierville, TN wrote:

While this is an attracitive fast growing tree, it is
poorly adapted to warmer humid areas such as the Southeast U.S. I tried this during an usually wet and cool year
but 4 weeks of 80% weather were enough to kill it off.Most
Chilean plants seem not tolerate heat well. It would do well in some Pacific Northwest areas and in parts of the British Isles.I have heard that some Australian Nothofagus are more
heat tolerant and might be worth trying.

On Feb 12, 2007, Gustichock from Tandil
Argentina (Zone 10b) wrote:

Nothofagus are the only representatives of the fagaceae family in the Southern Hemisphere. As it scientific names says it, it could be considered as a false beech.
It is very well appreciated by its wood quality but I personally admire this tree because of it height, size and foliage in autumn.
Its native name, “coihue” literally means “place of water” in native Mapuche tongue, probably because this tree likes to grow close to water.
It is normally found between 700 and 1200 meters over sea level, growing in hills together with lengas (Nothofagus pumilio) and Raulí’s (Nothofagus alpine) in humid zones and with Patagonian Cypress (Fitzroya cupressoides) in dryer zones.
There’s a type of fungus called “Llao-Llao” (sha-o sha-o) (Cyttaria ... read more) –there’s a very famous and fancy hotel called this name by the shore of the great lake “Nahuel Huapi” outside Bariloche– that parasites this type of tree producing some sort of tumors in the stem.
I’ve tried to grow this tree in Buenos Aires. I’ve brought a small seedling from Villa Pehuenia and lasted for a year and a half. I think the weather here is too hot and humid for it.
Anyway! I’ll keep trying!