PlantFiles: Canadian Clearweed
Pilea pumila

Family: Urticaceae
Genus: Pilea (py-LEE-uh) (Info)
Species: pumila (POO-mil-uh) (Info)

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Not Applicable

Pale Yellow
Chartreuse (Yellow-Green)
Pale Green

By creekwalker
Thumbnail #1 of Pilea pumila by creekwalker

Positive cazort On Aug 5, 2014, cazort from Jenkintown, PA wrote:

Southeast PA - I love this plant. It thrives in wet areas with some shade, not as much in drier areas. Easy to grow, reproduces from seed, very attractive, orderly look to foliage. Supports native insects.

I do not recommend this unless you want it to spread--if conditions are right, it will spread. I like it though, and I like that it helps shut out a number of undesirable plants, like stiltgrass, goutweed, and other invasives of wet areas. I like a lush garden, full of native plants, and if you want a similar kind of garden, and have low, wet areas, this is a great plant.

I have not had a problem with keeping this plant in check. It is small, shallow-rooted, and takes only seconds to pull out. The plants are hairless and smooth so you do not need gloves to pull it out if it is growing somewhere you do not want it to be.

Positive plant_it On Jun 11, 2013, plant_it from Valparaiso, IN wrote:

The caterpillars of the following butterflies feed on the foliage: Nymphalis milberti (Milbert's Tortoiseshell), Polygonia comma (Comma), Polygonia interrogationis (Question Mark), and Vanessa atalanta (Red Admiral).

Negative metopa On Apr 15, 2012, metopa from Port Matilda, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant grows everywhere, sun, shade, it isn't picky. I spend all growing season ripping the stuff out of my flower beds. Yeah, it pulls up easily, but it is everywhere. And not just a plant here and there, it blankets the ground. I dislike it intensely and have been battling it for the last 7 years. Do not introduce this plant to your property unless you want to spend lots of time weeding!

Negative Malus2006 On May 28, 2009, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

Have seen this weed mostly partial shade - but will do well in sun - not as aggressive as some of the worst weeds but still bad enough - have succulent stems . Flowers is insignificant and this is easy to pull but produces lots of seeds.

Valparaiso, Indiana