PlantFiles: Lanceleaf Cottonwood
Populus x acuminata

Family: Salicaceae (sal-i-KAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Populus (POP-yoo-lus) (Info)
Species: x acuminata

By uglysteve
Thumbnail #2 of Populus x acuminata by uglysteve

No positives

Neutral uglysteve On Oct 25, 2009, uglysteve from Apache Junction, AZ wrote:

I planted a lanceleaf cottonwood 2 years ago. It was a skinny stick about 1/2 inch in diameter, and about 4 feet tall. It is now about 15 feet tall, and about 3 to 4 inch diameter at the base. It's the fastest growing tree I have. It takes the desert summer heat (115+) with enough water. Some leafs turn brown. I deep water it once a week. Seems to like finer soil that holds moisture. I had another one that was in sandy soil, and it died. Last winter when I cut off some low branches, I put them in the ground, and they all rooted. Some died when I failed to water. They are in a wash, so I hope I will be able to cut back on the water in a couple of years.

One problem I have is that bees seem to love to eat the new growth, all summer, when no flowers are blooming. That seems to be slowing the growth. The tree will be covered in bees collecting resin. The branch tips turn black, and the new leafs are deformed. The good thing is that in spring there are enough flowers to distract the bees, so the tree can grow.

Update: The tree is now 4 years old, still doing good. Looses 1/2 of it's leaves when the temperature is over 110F. It's surviving the heat, and still growing fast. Cuttings have grown from 2 foot sticks to 15 feet tall in 2 or 3 years.
Good, Aspen like tree (the trunk) for the desert at 1800 ft. elevation, and higher. Sunset zone 12, in full sun. Looks great in the spring, a bit ragged and worn out by fall.
Yellow fall collor.

Update: The tree is about 5 years old now and still doing well.

Update: The tree in the picture is still ok, but a clone about 5 years old died from sooty canker. I have also lost several Freemont cottonwoods to sooty canker. The stress of the hot summer and drought seems to let sooty canker spread very quickly in cottonwoods. All the trees that died were pruned last winter. May be my bleach water that I used to clean my tools, was too weak.

Apache Junction, Arizona