Purple Bell Vine
Rhodochiton atrosanguineum

Family: Scrophulariaceae (skrof-yoo-larr-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rhodochiton (roh-doh-KY-ton) (Info)
Species: atrosanguineum (at-ro-san-GWIN-ee-um) (Info)
Synonym:Rhodochiton volubile

Greenville, South Carolina

Bellevue, Washington

Redmond, Washington

On Jun 26, 2013, Jess054u from Brookings, OR wrote:

I just recently purchased one of these in a 4 inch pot. It seems to be a little slow getting started but its prob just the wet cold weather were having here on the Oregon coast. The tag that came with the plant said shade to partial shade but everything else I've read says full sun. Doesn't seem to mind where I have it in full shade for the moment. Also was wondering how and when to take cuttings of this plant. I live in zone 9. Is this something I could winter over in my unseated green house? Also when collecting seeds are these like fuschia seeds where you have to plant them right away or can u let them dry out and store them tell spring? If so how do I go about that? If anyone in Oregon has had any luck growing this here I would love to hear about your experience. Also wanted to add th... read more

On Apr 16, 2013, MayoE from Anacortes, WA wrote:

This is very vigorous annual here in NW Washington state. I saved seed from pods allowed to mature on the vines. I stored them in a paper envelope in 2011 and just this spring remembered them. I sowed them on the surface in peat pots kept moist and on a heat mat. Germination was virtually 100%. Plants are healthy and I'm looking forward to sharing the seedlings and enjoying this beautiful vine once again on trellises and in hanging baskets.

On Nov 25, 2012, padlnjones from Greenville, SC wrote:

I started these indoor from seed, and had small plants to set out after frost, in April. For almost 4 months they remained under 12" tall, hardly seeming to grow at all. Around August they started to climb, growing a good 10 feet in length, and dripping beautiful purple flowers like crazy. It's November here in SC, and they are still doing their thing. I plan to grow them every year, they are so wonderful. If anyone has an idea how to save the seeds, I would appreciate it, as they are expensive.

On May 1, 2012, ouman from Hebron, TX wrote:

Does anyone have experience growing this plant from seed? I have tried planting twice with no luck.

On Jun 6, 2011, jjchunsb from Bellevue, WA wrote:

I have a start of the Pruple Bell Vine...Does anyone know if I can grow this in a hanging basket?

On Jan 3, 2011, NicholasC from Wyandotte, MI wrote:

Does anyone know if this is poisonous to any animals? I haven't been able to find anything either way.
Thanks,
Nicholas

On May 8, 2010, AuNatural from W'Ville, WA wrote:

Evert, Thank you for your seed photo. I had a hard time telling chaff from seed and your pic was perfect!

On Aug 31, 2007, macybee from Deer Park, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This genus from Mexico contains 3 species of evergreen, leaf-stalk climbers grown for their unusual flowers. The flowers are pendent and have long-tubed corollas with 5 segments. They perform better when grown as annuals, especially in frost-prone areas.
CULTIVATION: They may be planted against fences or trellises or used as ground cover, and prefer full sun and humus-rich, moist but well-dranied soil. Propagate from seed in spring.
Purple Bells: This twining climber is often grown as an annual and flowers from late spring through to late fall. The flowers have a long, finger-like, dark purple corolla protruding from a bell-shaped calyx in a redder hue of purple. The leaves are ovate to heart-shaped, with slightly hairy edges and twining stems. It grows to 10' in height.
... read more

On Aug 30, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

A tender perennial often grown as an annual. Heart-shaped leaves and purple bell-shaped flowers grace this lovely plant.