Hummingbird Plant, Trailing Scutellaria
Scutellaria longifolia

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Scutellaria (skew-teh-LARE-ee) (Info)
Species: longifolia (lon-jee-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)

Herbs

Winter Springs, Florida

Lafayette, Louisiana

Vacherie, Louisiana

On Apr 14, 2012, sunkissed from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Thanks to my friends on Dave's Gardens I finally know this is the unknown plant I have had growing in my garden for well over six years. I have no idea exactly when I planted it, but sure I bought it at a plant nursery and just put it in the sandy ground in my garden. It has pretty much stayed contained to one spot with branching out only a couple feet. It is in full sun the hottest part of the day, but by mid summer gets some welcomed shade from a crape myrtle close by. Flowers from spring until first frost. This plant has been through the coldest winters and comes back every spring, with no protection from frost. I accidentally cut a branch off last fall and just stuck the branch into my wheelbarrow planter and forgot all about it. This spring I now have a nice plant growing in the middl... read more

On Apr 17, 2007, nifty413 from Garland, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Is being sold under the cultivar name 'Red Fountains' locally. Difficult to find irrefutable information to conclude this actually is a distinct cultivar.

On Sep 23, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a very showy plant which everyone stops to ask, "What is that?", as they enter my house. It's known as the 'Hummingbird Plant' in its native habitat from Mexico to El Salvador where it grows in the mountains. While it is considered one of the tropical skullcaps, its proven hardy up through zones 8a if heavily mulched in winter. It "sprawls" to about 4' wide but the total height is only about 6-12" in my garden. The Scutellaria species, as a whole, do have some medicinal properties; but I do not know what they are. It is a great ornamental plant to grow in the south.