African Daisy
Arctotis stoechadifolia

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Arctotis (ark-TO-tis) (Info)
Species: stoechadifolia (sto-ee-ka-dee-FOH-lee-a) (Info)
Synonym:Arctotis venusta

Coopersburg, Pennsylvania

Clarksville, Tennessee

Muscoda, Wisconsin

On Mar 12, 2013, camrichdesigns from Scottsdale, AZ wrote:

Planted two of these last Spring, and they flowered beautifully until the Summer heat arrived. This Spring I've discovered several little plants that have sprouted freely in the landscape from the seeds of those two original plants--a pleasant surprise.

On Jan 10, 2011, TarponDeb from Tarpon Springs, FL wrote:

Firstly, many thanks to whomever hosts this site. It is the most useful site, in my opinion, for any horticulture information. I especially like how the comments are labeled by region, as we are new to this area and appreciate being able to see how certain plants fare in this climate.

As for the African Daisy, just purchased my first seed packets and plan to sow directly, after adding a bit of top soil. We have very sandy soil, so I want to give them a hearty start.

Bought these seeds on a whim. With all the positive comments surrounding this flower, I cannot wait to see them bloom! Bought them as a companion to some sunflowers that are going in a neighboring garden area. Hoping they will complement one another well!

Thanks again for a great re... read more

On Jan 25, 2009, davidjoburg from Johannesburg
South Africa wrote:

A tough and fast-growing groundcover that thrives on neglect, Arctotis stoechadifolia surprisingly only occurs naturally along a small coastal strip in South Africa.
A sprawling perennial, the silver arctotis forms a striking silver-grey carpet that easily covers an area of about 1.2 m wide, with upright shoots and flowers standing about 350 mm high. The showy flowers are large, single daisies with long, creamy to light yellow petals that are marked with red/maroon underneath. The centre of the flowers is black. Flowering for a few months from spring to summer (September-December in South Africa), it creates quite a show with masses of flowers. Typical for Arctotis, the flowers only open with sunlight; the flowerheads curve down as they start to seed, only straightening up when the... read more

On Oct 10, 2007, bebop2 from Van Etten, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love this plant. I treat it as an annual in my zone (which is actually colder than the official one, we are in a microclimate). I start the seeds under lights in March to transplant outdoors in late May. The seeds are not easy to find. Parks used to have them. I have gotten mine from Pine Tree for years but they weren't in the 2007 catalog. Fortunately, I still had some old ones. This summer I saved seed. Hopefully, they will bloom true. My arctotis bloom from July through light frosts. I have never seen any volunteers from the year before.

On Mar 8, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Also known as Blue-eyed Daisy.

On Sep 28, 2005, julie88 from Muscoda, WI (Zone 4b) wrote:

2005 was the first time I've grown this plant...but it most certainly won't be the last!

I started it indoors well before our last frost. It germinated exceptionally well and tolerated a lot of neglect as things got very busy when the weather finally settled.

I believe that it first bloomed in late June or early July. I was immediately taken with the beauty of it's bloom and its striking silver velvet-like foilage. But I only *thought* I liked then.

As the summer wore on and the drought in our area got worse (...and I got too tired to water all my gardens in the same day) the Arctotis just got prettier. It was planted with a couple of packs of medium to tall mixed zinnias...and the combination, especially with the pink double zinnias, was ... read more

On Feb 2, 2003, Crimson from Clarksville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

I loved this flower! I seemed to thrive on neglect. Before the flowers ever came I was already in love with it for the beautiful, silvery, soft, Lambs ear- like foliage.

On Jan 22, 2003, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is an easy annual and will reward you oodles of blue-eyed, white daisies. The plants were easy to start from seeds and it bloomed all summer long. Heat and drought didn't phase it.