Blackberry 'Triple Crown'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rubus (ROO-bus) (Info)
Cultivar: Triple Crown

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Good Fall Color

From hardwood cuttings

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

By simple layering

By tip layering

By serpentine layering

By stooling or mound layering

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Ferment seeds before storing

Greenup, Illinois

Cicero, New York

Macminnville, Oregon

Midlothian, Virginia

Grand Mound, Washington

Marysville, Washington

On Oct 22, 2011, JeffAW from Mcminnville, OR wrote:

Triple Crown produces as advertised. My plant is just completed its third season (planted spring of 2009) and I picked at least 3 gallons of berries with almost half again that much falling to the ground (my fault for not picking). The berries are as large as previously noted and have a great taste, nearly equal to the "feral" Himilayas that are so prevalent here in western Oregon. The canes do need some support and pruning of the terminal and lateral branches on the primocanes is necessary just so you can reach the berries the following year. My plant only receives about 6 hours of sunlight in the summer and does great, in fact that helps to reduce sunburn on the berries during hot weather. The new canes continually sprout from the same crown so the plant is not invasive (see my comm... read more

On Jun 1, 2010, mrlynn7 from Aliquippa, PA wrote:

I am going to have to completely remove a stand of Triple Crown, probobaly 50+ plants, planted a few years ago due to the leaf curl virus. research has it to control this virus you must spray insecticide to control the aphid that carries this virus and remove those plants infected.

I have tried many organic approaches to control this situation including introducing Praying Mantis and 9,000 lady bugs to no avail. I absolutely refuse to spray my berries with any insecticide.

The berries I had last year were in fact very large, but super sour unedible.

I am replacing the Triple Crown with a more resistant and sweeter raspberry, the Purple Royalty.

I changed my rating of this plant to neutral, as instead I let t... read more

On Jul 22, 2009, DawgDrvr from Rochester, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I purchaded a Flat (10 tubes) from 'Raintree Nursery' 4 years ago. the first year these thornless black berry gave us about 5 lbs of berries total. The 2nd and 3rd years the berry production was outstanding! We picked 50+ pounds of berries. And they are as big as your thumb . the discription from 'Raintree' is below.

An improved Chester that can produce 30 pounds of delicious berries per plant. A large, very sweet, shiny blackberry that is by far the most productive. It is great eaten fresh or used to make jelly, toppings or juice. It thrives in areas of the country too cold for other blackberries. Triple Crown begins ripening in early August when most of the other blackberries are winding ... read more