Monterey Oak, Monterrey Oak, Mexican White Oak, Netleaf White Oak
Quercus polymorpha

Family: Fagaceae (fag-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Quercus (KWER-kus) (Info)
Species: polymorpha (pol-ee-MOR-fuh) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Inconspicuous/none

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Chandler, Arizona

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Boerne, Texas

Helotes, Texas

Midlothian, Texas

Ozona, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (3 reports)

Spring Branch, Texas

On Feb 2, 2014, TexasDollie from Dewey, AZ (Zone 7a) wrote:

Moved to this house (San Antonio area) May of 2013, with two of these trees out front. Both installed at least a year prior, were over ten ft tall, but neither had leaves. As it was winter when we first saw the house, we figured them for deciduous. Between neglect from previous owner and HORRIBLE tree planting practice of the landscaper, one never made it--and we almost lost the other one.

When I dug up the dying tree, the roots had circled so tightly I could pull out the 20 gallon-size root ball with my hands...the landscaper had back-filled with loose compost! I began a regular slow/deep watering just outside the drip line for the surviving tree, and over the last eight months it has shown remarkable recovery.

Not entirely evergreen--ours has lost almos... read more

On Mar 25, 2013, rhydon from Chandler, AZ wrote:

5-gallon Monterey Oak, planted in 2005, reached 30ft tall in 2012. Tree was planted on the eastern exposure of a two-story house, so it has been shaded from the extreme heat of the Arizona desert afternoon sun. Leaves hang on the tree all year, but drop within a week when new growth appears in the spring. Acorns are small, about 1". The tree is well-behaved, with no suckering, and tolerates drought well.

On May 31, 2011, Fschulte from Austin, TX wrote:

Regarding the Monterey Oak, what are the size of the acorns and is there any pollen and if so, how much.

On Mar 19, 2010, melvalena from Flower Mound, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Does this tree have numerous shallow roots and sucker like Live Oaks do?
Can you plant plants under it? We could never get anything to live, let alone grow under our live oaks except Asian jasmine.

On Feb 28, 2008, GregLasley from Austin, TX wrote:

There is a beautiful specimen of this tree near my home in south Austin (Texas). It is about 45 feet tall and very healthy. That particular tree is about 17 years old I am told. Based on this, I planted two in my yard in January, 2007. 13 months later they are doing just fine. I would not, however, call it evergreen, at least in central Texas. The tree starts losing foliage in December and January and can be mostly bare by late February, but quickly starts putting on new growth shortly there after. By early March news leaves are budding out in profusion.

On Sep 27, 2006, renatelynne from Boerne new zone 30, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This makes a great shade plant for south/central texas. Stands up to the heat after it is established. Grows slower than some of the oaks but faster than most. 5-10 year tree will shade a good area.

On Sep 25, 2006, joebloom from San Antonio, TX wrote:

A larger spreading oak which is native from northern Mexico into Val Verde County, Texas. The tree has big leathery leaves that appear in a whirl pattern and give the appearance of year-round green flowers. It is evergreen in most winters, and the new growth has a bronze color. The tree is adaptable to alkaline, neutral, and acid soil, which makes it an ideal addition to the area landscape. It is drought tolerant.