PlantFiles: Mother of Thousands, Mexican Hat Plant
Kalanchoe daigremontiana 'Jaws of Life'

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Kalanchoe (kal-un-KOH-ee) (Info)
Species: daigremontiana (day-ee-gree-mon-tee-AH-nuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Jaws of Life

Synonym:Bryophyllum daigremontianum

Cactus and Succulents

Magenta (Pink-Purple)
Orange

Variegated

Plant is viviparous

Wear gloves to protect hands when handling seeds
Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By DaleTheGardener

Thumbnail #5 of Kalanchoe daigremontiana by Amarok24

Thumbnail #6 of Kalanchoe daigremontiana by Amarok24

Thumbnail #7 of Kalanchoe daigremontiana by Amarok24

Positive wall On Aug 7, 2012, wall from Saginaw, MI wrote:

when I was a kid growing up we had one of these plants. we liked it. I really don't remember what happened to the plant but I do know I want to get one to grow in my own house. I can't find one anywhere at the stores here in Saginaw ,Michigan. does anyone know where I can get one.

Neutral divenany On Aug 5, 2012, divenany from Lebanon, TN wrote:

I have had this plant indoors (Lebanon, TN) for years. A co-worker gave me a small piece years ago. It has reached almost 8 ft. in height. The main trunk continues to sprout new "arms" and I have to use ribbons, etc. to keep them from falling. The flowers come rarely, and I can barely see them without standing on a ladder. I vaccuum the "babies" on the leaves occasionally because they fall to the floor. As expected, because of the height, I have to keep it standing in the corner of the room. Good conversation piece. I wouldn't dare put it outdoors because I understand it can become out of control.

Negative adam1983tt On Feb 3, 2012, adam1983tt from Eagle Lake, FL wrote:

A clipping of this plant was given to me by a neighbor about two years ago. I was attracted to its height, its bright red teardrop flowers and its unique ability to be "trained." I was able to make it grow into a spiral by replacing an adjustable table over it every couple of days. A very handsome plant. However, IT IS VERY INVASIVE!! In only a few days, it had spread hundreds, maybe thousands of tiny sprouts across my side yard, completely taking over the area. It took many hours, over a few weeks, of pulling each and every one of those sprouts up to clear the ground of the invasion. I still want to possibly grow one or two in a planter for a decorative accent on my porch, but I am so afraid of it spreading again. I am not positive of this, but I would assume because of its invasive nature, it would be outlawed or regulated. (It should be, anyway).

In short... Be wary of this plant! It grows aggressively and can grow in any direction to find a light source. I've found them underneath a picnic table and they were literally growing sideways to find the sunlight. Mowing over them only spreads them faster. If you find yourself overwhelmed with them, expect to be on your hands and knees pulling them up!

Positive kargar On Jun 3, 2010, kargar from Grand Valley

I live up in chilly Canada and this plant is grown indoors. I received a baby from a friend. She didn't know what it was called other than Mexican Hat Plant. I had no idea at all how it would grow, but, I found out the hard way to remove the baby "fringe" before they dropped onto the soil in the pot. When the plant was about 6 to 8 inches tall I noticed that small stems where starting to grow up and up and up and up, you get my drift. I didn't know what was happening until buds formed and flowers opened, what a nice surprise. This was last fall, the flowers lasted forever, and it was so tall I decided to cut it back to it's original 6" it seemed like new leaves were forming, but to my surprise stems started to sprout again and to cut it short I have flowers again withing 6 months of the first flowering. My friend, who has the "mother plant" has never had a flower on hers. My plant is in a southwest window and hers doesn't get any sun at all, I'm presuming this could be the reason. This is certainly an interesting plant, I guess I will find out eventually if it will hold off flowering for a while. The upside is, while it is in flower no new leaves are growing with the dreaded baby "fringe".

Negative flowerehj On Apr 27, 2009, flowerehj from Saint Cloud, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant has voluntarily shown up in my yard and has completely taken over. Trying to remove it, especially the babies, is a nightmare. I did enjoy the blooms, but at this price it's not worth it. If you enjoy a garden/area with nothing but this one type of flower, it might work for you. I have never watered it or anything- it will grow in the hottest conditions, in cracks, even on top of concrete if there's even the slightest bit of soil blown on top of it. The babies don't just fall straight down- somehow this plant has managed to get plants started as much as 8 yards away. Imagine this cycle repeating for a couple of years! It will be nothing but (mother of) thousands! So if you have it and enjoy it make sure you keep removing the little babies from the leaves.

Positive krissy_p On Mar 11, 2009, krissy_p from Pipe Creek, TX wrote:

I have always heard this plant called "mother of millions" which I think is more appropriate. First of all yes it does spread like crazy, but that can be a good thing, I have it on a corner of my property that none of my hoses can reach. It thrives with no care at all even in the drought season. I live in zone 8b and it lives through the winter, in fact it just bloomed in February.

Negative auntm001 On Mar 9, 2009, auntm001 from Belleview, FL wrote:

This plant grows like a weed EVERYWHERE in my yard. Wherever those little "babies" fall off they grow. I thought it was really pretty when I saw it in my friends yard and she gave me some of the "babies" and told me just to throw them on the ground where I wanted them. Now I can't get rid of them and the house behind me and in front of me can't get rid of them either. I've grown to hate this plant.

Negative btc129psu On Aug 23, 2008, btc129psu from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Although a realy interesting looking plant (especialy in flower!) it can be quite invasive. Here in parts of Houston it grows quite readily in broken up paved surfaces and sidewalks. I have even seen it take over parts of yards, outcompeting the grass and weeds and surviving regular mowing.

Positive DaleTheGardener On Feb 16, 2007, DaleTheGardener from Tampa, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

This plant grows without care in most of Florida. Mature plants bloom in winter and then expire (die), but always leave behind offspring. They grow in any soil, sun to shade and can grow up to blooming size in a year. I call them a parking lot plant because they are tolerant of the conditions that planting strips have in parking areas. I am sending a photo of this kind of area.

Positive growth_is_good On Oct 26, 2006, growth_is_good from Liberty Hill, TX wrote:

I took a small rooted transplant from a family members yard in San Antonio. Planted in early 2006. Seeds produced thousands. A thick stalk to this variety, growing sturdy in partial sun and shade near herb garden. Liberty Hill, TX

Have about 50 babies now.

Tempe, Arizona