PlantFiles: Alocasia
Alocasia odora 'Variegata'

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Alocasia (a-loh-KAY-see-uh) (Info)
Species: odora (oh-DOR-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Variegata

Thumbnail #5 of Alocasia odora by celt33040

Thumbnail #6 of Alocasia odora by celt33040

Thumbnail #7 of Alocasia odora by celt33040

Positive pinkltink On Oct 21, 2010, pinkltink from Marshfield, MA wrote:

This is a gorgeous plant with very large leaves. In my area of Massachusetts I put the bulb in the ground after all danger of frost is past in the Spring, have beautiful foliage all summer, then dig it up again in the Fall. I store it in dry peat moss in a cool place all winter.

JN

Positive smurfwv On Sep 26, 2010, smurfwv from Cabin Creek, WV (Zone 6a) wrote:

For those who like color in their yard, this is definately a plant for you. I got this in a trade from my friend in Missouri, both of us collect alocasia and colocasia, right now I have about 14 varieties. This one is a real eye catcher because of its variegation/ marbled leaves.

I highly recommend this to anyone who loves tropicals.

Positive celt33040 On Oct 1, 2006, celt33040 from Key West, FL (Zone 11) wrote:

I just found this plant and was thrilled to be able to take it home. Here's the information I have on it so far.

Quoted Brian Williams
'Odoras have rounder leaves.The soil you use will determine how much you should water.. I use a very airy well drained soil like pro mix it works well for most of what I grow. when I repot a plant like this make sure the soil is right were it was in the last pot covering up stems can cause rot. Also fertilizers can cause rot they burn the roots. I usually push a hole down with my finger in the soil at the edge of the pot and fill it with a slow release fertilizer. This way the plants roots can grow to the fertilizer rather than force feeding the plant. Odora is not a very hard plant to grow but with it being variegated it will be much slower than most.'
I'll keep this post updated as I learn more.

Vero Beach, Florida