PlantFiles: Orange Bells
Tecoma x smithii

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tecoma (tek-OH-muh) (Info)
Species: x smithii

Thumbnail #5 of Tecoma x smithii by rmontouri

By brentas
Thumbnail #6 of Tecoma x smithii by brentas

Neutral nogottarancho On Jun 3, 2013, nogottarancho from Maricopa, AZ wrote:

great and beautiful plant, although at my altitude of 2047 ft in the desert it dies back some winters. always comes back. have it planted on west side near house.

Positive rmontouri On Oct 16, 2009, rmontouri from Santee, CA wrote:

I first saw this plant in my neighborhood, hanging over a fence in a stunning display. The tangerine-colored pompoms were hefty--and appeared to weigh down some of the longer branches, while shorter, flowerless branches simply sprayed out the top of the canopy. And when the owners told me they never watered it--their garden was surprisingly water thrifty for the wide variety of flowers throughout--I couldn't have been more impressed. But why haven't I ever seen this for sale? I'm nursing the seedling they gave me, and it has a prominent space designated in my low-water front yard design.

Neutral Kell On Oct 8, 2006, Kell from Northern California, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I got suckered in by the big bright clusters of orange/ yellow tubular flowers that just yelled out to buy it. I really do not have the space for this shrub. I had hoped to make a standard out of it but the long branches especially with the heavy flower clusters on the ends are just too floppy I fear though I had read it is doable.

Orange Bells, Tecoma x smithii, is a cross between T. arequipensis and T. stans. Its culture is similar to that of Tecoma stans.

This plant has a high drought tolerance as well as salt tolerance. Needs well drained soil though will tolerate poor soil and lack of fertilizer. Prefers full sun.

Maricopa, Arizona