Tomato 'Park's Whopper Cr Improved'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Park's Whopper Cr Improved
Additional cultivar information:(aka Park's Whopper™)
» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Shawnee, Oklahoma

Jonesville, South Carolina

Simpsonville, South Carolina

On Sep 13, 2015, BEarthGardens from Douglasville, GA wrote:

This was my first tomato grown even though I have been gardening for a few years. This was also my girlfriend's favorite variety this year. Grew over 8-foot in a 4 gallon container. Had to water daily as we had a decently hot summer. Very high yielder until it became infected with Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus, fruit quality that remained was poor. Made cuttings and started over. A few Tomato Hornworms here and there and am currently trying to beat aphids. Biggest to date weighed 12 ozs, pretty decent taste that has a nice acid balance. I am going to heirloom only next year but promised my girlfriend I will keep a spot in the garden for her Park's Whopper. I would recomend this tomato.

On Jul 24, 2015, shule from New Plymouth, ID (Zone 4a) wrote:

We only got a few fruits (like maybe three or four) when we grew this in 2014 (I imagine the daytime heat and/or the nighttime cold halted production). However, the few we had tasted good, especially the first one. The fruits were medium to medium large (not what I would call beefsteak size). They had thin, pleasant skin and good texture. Our tomatoes that year came from Home Depot (, purchased as plants (rather than seeds).

For comparison, I'll tell you about the others we grew that year:

Early Girl, Roma, Husky Cherry Red and Lemon Boy produced fine, although Lemon Boy was the least productive of these four. Bush Goliath didn't get ripe tomatoes until about the time the frost came in the fall, and not a lot (but they all ripened at once, it ... read more

On Sep 1, 2012, nmbirder from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

I have grown this variety for many years, both in the ground (1970's with an earlier version of the hybrid) and, in the past 15 years, in containers. It is reliable, has a good balance of juice to pulp, is a good slicing tomato and seems resistant to the dreaded blossom end rot. Best of all is that it tastes good. It can take the heat of a New Mexico summer, but likes partial shade and regular watering.

I grow my tomatos in recycled 15 gallon nursery buckets with a combination of manufactured soil, compost and a supplement of gypsum & epsom salts as well as fertilizer. Water is provied through a times drip system. I don't even try to grow vegatables in our local, native soil, which is decomposed granite with alkaline caliche.

Back to the subject, this is a fi... read more

On Feb 18, 2012, bstnh1 from Barrington, NH (Zone 5a) wrote:

Have planted Whopper for years and it has always grown well, produced heavily, and always, always tastes great.

On Feb 11, 2012, tomatolarry from Dalton, GA wrote:

I tried this variety for the first time last year and was amazed at the production. I picked 324 tomatoes from two plants!
I normally don't plant many hybrids, but I was glad that I tried this one. 5 stars on production.

On Apr 6, 2010, Wargamer777 from Simpsonville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is one of my favorite hybrid tomato plants. It produces a lot of tomatoes during the season and they are very tasty and sweet.

I grow it every year.

On Mar 4, 2010, DAKOTA31400 from Petersburg, ND (Zone 3a) wrote:

Best performance in partial shade. Very sensitive to climate. Even moisture and calcium a must. Win Some, Lose some. Container friendly. Must prune to 2 or 3 vines.

On Jan 14, 2009, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is a good tomato and it is one of my winners. Tomatoes are good-sized and they have an acidic taste, which I prefer. It does well in hot/humid climates.

On Jul 6, 2008, cowtrailrd from Shawnee, OK wrote:

just started picking looks like it will produce many good size tomatoes. Good size and taste.

On Jun 1, 2007, Big_Red from Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Quote from Park's Seed:

"65 days from setting out transplants. Indeterminate. The original Whopper™ was an American classic, and its successor is simply the home gardener's dream tomato: greater disease resistance, higher yields, a longer season, and better taste! These big, juicy, crack-resistant tomatoes, 4 inches or more across, ripen uniformly (even when the weather is overcast!) and finish 5 days sooner than the old Whopper™. Then they keep right on coming in huge quantities until frost--none of your smaller, greener end-of-season fruits here! And because they're meatier, you get even more succulent tomato flavor in every slice! Resistant to Verticillium Wilt, Root Knot Nematodes, Tobacco Mosaic Virus, and 2 strains of Fusarium Wilt."

Withholding my judgm... read more