Early Goldenrod, Giant Goldenrod, Smooth Goldenrod, Tall Goldenrod, Verge d'or geante
Solidago gigantea

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Solidago (so-li-DAY-go) (Info)
Species: gigantea (jy-GAN-tee-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Solidago gigantea var. serotina

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Direct sow as soon as the ground can be worked

Beatrice, Nebraska

Doniphan, Nebraska

Jersey City, New Jersey

positive

On Feb 28, 2012, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have the cultivar 'Prairie Empress', though I'm not sure there's much difference. It seems to have a tendency to flop, and being as I have other goldenrods that I like better, I am leaning towards removing it before it gets a strong foothold. Blooms September-October in my garden.

On Dec 12, 2010, Parakeet wrote:

I have had this kind of Goldenrod in my garden for over five years now. It is not invasive here. It has stayed where I planted it, never had volunteer seedlings. Old plants die back in winter, new ones come up in spring from the same root parts. Bugs and bees love the bright yellow blooms and flock around like crazy!

A lot of people hate goldenrod believing its pollen causes allergies. But the following is the truth:
"Goldenrod gets blamed for hay fever because the bright yellow flowers draw attention to the plant. But ragweed pollen is what causes allergy symptoms, not goldenrod.
Ragweed's pollen is lightweight and spread by the wind. Goldenrod's pollen is heavy and sticky and can't be blown by the wind. It is pollinated by insects. Unless you put your nose ri... read more

On Jun 8, 2009, KSBaptisia from Beatrice, NE (Zone 5b) wrote:

A big, bold goldenrod that is a very common wildflower throughout the Great Plains and Midwest. Can be so aggressive that it is difficult to integrate into most gardens.