PlantFiles: Persian Lilac
Syringa x persica

Family: Oleaceae (oh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Syringa (si-RING-gah) (Info)
Species: x persica (PER-see-ka) (Info)

Violet/Lavender

Thumbnail #5 of Syringa x persica by slyperso1

Thumbnail #6 of Syringa x persica by Chantell

Thumbnail #7 of Syringa x persica by Chantell

Neutral nmbirder On Jan 27, 2014, nmbirder from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

I have one of these that was in place next to the house and fairly mature when we moved into our house in the mid 80's. It has bloomed less often and now has no flowers at all. The color of the bloom was a dull pink and the sweet scent can be very cloying on a warm day. If you plant it, put it out by the driveway or downwind from the bedroom window! I left it in place because I was a beginning gardener, but now want something else to replace it.
It is very hard to prune or thin; the stems are very tough and resistant to anything less than a saw. I think I want to get rid of it altogether. Has anyone had success removing one of these shrubs? How deep does it root? I dread doing this-it will probably need the Sawsall.

Neutral NancyBeck On May 18, 2013, NancyBeck from Cornelia, GA wrote:

Two years in a row now, after blooming, this plant has a tendency to get 'black spots' on the leaves. I have not tried to prune it - but may move it to another part of my garden. The tag that came with the plant originally states PART sun morning only - this plant gets the hot Georgia afternoon sunlight. We are in Northeast Georgia - but I know that the hydrangeas died when they were planted in the evening sun instead of morning sun. The flowers are very pretty and smell good. But it's not a 'normal' lilac. I'm an Oregonian transplant, and this lilac has me stumped... it's very FRAGILE almost. I'm not sure why it's ACTING like this.

Neutral sweetlilylin On Mar 30, 2012, sweetlilylin from Woodhaven, NY wrote:

I planted this LIlac 4 years ago when it was only 3 ft. tall. It is in the sun and has grown at least 10 ft tall. It looks very healthy but has never bloomed. I did trim it in mid summer, as if it had already finished blooming. What's going on?

Positive Chantell On Apr 7, 2009, Chantell from Middle of, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Easy plant rewards with gorgeous spring blooms - typical pretty lilac fragrance. Remains a manageable size esp. nice for smaller yards. Seems to appreciate a good winter pruning as well.

Neutral tawnygirl On Apr 1, 2004, tawnygirl wrote:

I live in Deming New Mexico. Our weather down here gets on the average in the summers 98 degrees to some hot days of 103 degrees. Winters average 30 to low 50's. We have alot of wind, especially durning the spring. I recently planted persian lilacs on the east side of my house to protect them from the hot sun and wind. They receive only the morning sun.

Positive siggyrose On Jun 21, 2002, siggyrose wrote:

Profusive bloomer. It just covers itself in hugh fragrant blooms. After blooming the plant likes to grow round. Meaning it wants to be as wide as it is tall, and graceful shoots of blue green leaves hang loose. It's quite lovely and gives a soft look.

Neutral Terry On Aug 30, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

A smaller growing species, Persian Lilac is lovely, although its blue-green foliage is prone to powdery mildew.

Tempe, Arizona