Hybrid Tea Rose
Rosa 'Pope John Paul II'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Pope John Paul II
Additional cultivar information:(PP19107, Ultimate Rose Collection, aka JACsegra, Papa Giovanni Paolo II, Pape Jean Paul II, The Great White I am the greatest)
Hybridized by Zary

Bush

Patented

Other Details:

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Casco, Wisconsin

On Mar 8, 2015, DaylilySLP from Dearborn Heights, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

PP19107

On Feb 27, 2014, tgwWhale from Casco, WI wrote:

Yes, it is white! yes, It is fragrant! Yes, it grows quite vigorously, especially for a white hybrid tea!

But will it make it through this winter from Hades? I planted two of these in the spring of 2013. They are now boxed up and buried under a foot of ground. I will lift the boxes when the snow finally melts -- if it ever melts -- and I will see if I can continue to give this rose a positive rating.

In NE Wisconsin, the single most important quality for any rose is that I can get it through the winter alive. I will report back on JPII this spring.

On Jun 7, 2013, lancer23 from San Francisco, CA wrote:

I was intrigue by the delicious scent of this pure white rose. Its spicy and also fruity with many difference and nuances that's like a great wine which have a top note, middle base and also a bottom that makes in last in your memory. Its not your everyday run of the mill rose. I grew it from a cutting because I don't think I can afford to buy one :-(. How this little cutting can grow into a healthy little plant and bloom in just one yr is a testament of its good genes. Relatively healthy with light green color leaves. Heavy petal counts yet strong enough stem to hold the bloom up. I hate floppy flower heads. I don't know it long enough to say that it can give a lot of bloom because the mother plant was in a shady area and doesn't have that much blooms. Grow for the scent, its wor... read more

On Jul 19, 2011, NorthernWoman from Spring Lake, MI wrote:

Just planted this year, so will report back next year about winter hardiness. This is a wonderful rose; beautiful, very floriferous, and smells wonderful. The only other rose in my bed with as many flowers is Fragrant Cloud. It also lasts well as a cut rose. This area is zone 6 (thanks to Lake Effect).

On Jun 14, 2011, Melrose77 from Zeeland, MI wrote:

Can you say White? Wear your sunglasses around these beauties! Did I happen to mention these blossoms are WHITE? And stay WHITE? BTW, they are really WHITE!

On Aug 26, 2010, HolyChickin from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

I LOOOOOOVE this rose! I was chomping at the bit to get and I finally did about 5 months back. Unfortunately before it could bloom, my garden got infested with spidermites... lost a few hybrid teas... ALMOST lost this one but, I got lucky and it survived. It's still trying to recover (looking kinda sparce) but it did finally bloom. Granted, since it's been so stressed, the blooms weren't as spectacular as I expected BUT, it smells FANTASTIC! I mean... I can't stop smelling them. If I could walk around with a bloom shoved in each nostril, I WOULD!

It has such incredibly clear white, perfectly shaped blooms... wow! I am very happy to have it as a part of my garden. I have another white rose (Moondace Floribunda) and this one takes the other one to the cleaners.

... read more

On Jun 9, 2009, LoraTW619 from Mount Washington, KY wrote:

I have a little over a dozen different HTs, and this is one of the best of them. It is very disease resistant, vigorous, and quick to rebloom with huge pure white blossoms. And the fragrance is outstandingly strong! This one is quickly becoming my new favorite hybrid tea. A+!

On Apr 7, 2009, GreeneLady from Oak Island, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have noticed that this plant seems sensitive to overwatering. We have a natural rich sandy loam and all my other 36 different varieties of roses were doing fine, but after a weekend of very heavy rain, this particular rose started to droop like crazy. After a few days of dry weather it perked back up.