Quince, Fruiting Quince
Cydonia oblonga

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cydonia (sigh-DOH-nee-uh) (Info)
Species: oblonga (ob-LON-guh) (Info)
Synonym:Cydonia vulgaris

Dark/Black

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Pale Pink

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

By air layering

Salem, Oregon

Greenville, South Carolina

Spokane, Washington

On Apr 27, 2015, RockWhispererOK from Bartlesville, OK wrote:

I started my tree from seeds sent to me by a very kind woman in Tennessee. I planted the seeds in a circle in the fall, in the spring I pulled all the grass away that had grown across the spot. This is NE Oklahoma, we have Bermuda grass, a pox upon the world if you ask me. But anyway, before long, I began to see the little seedlings emerge. I put a tomato cage over them to protect from neighbors' dogs stepping on them and turned out to entrap the postman, but oh, well. I'd asked him before not to cut through.

A year later, we moved, and I dug up my little seedlings and transplanted them at the new place, western exposure. I had some die, because we moved in early July and what followed was a drought and temperatures in excess of 100. But we continued to water and wat... read more

On Oct 17, 2013, BajaBlue from Rancho Santa Rita, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

When prepared correctly, the products of this fruit are delicious.

It is NOT tasty raw, and is not intended to be eaten
raw !

On Oct 16, 2009, purplesun from Krapets
Bulgaria (Zone 8a) wrote:

I don't really get why people grow this tree. We've got several of them, and they are of no use. The fruit is hard to process, though it does make a delicious preserve. Otherwise, not of great interest.
The fruit have to be picked by hand, or else anything growing underneath will get smashed by the falling quinces. Really, an orchard tree.

On Oct 8, 2006, OhioBreezy from Dundee, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

Quince Jelly

4 cups juice
3 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
pat of butter (for no foam)

bring to a full rolling boil. Stir, turn down heat and let simmer about 30 minutes with a soft rolling boil. Color will turn a beautiful pinky red, it will start to set up along sides of your kettle, skim off foam, pour into hot jars, cap, invert jar 5 minutes, after 5 minutes turn jar upright and they will start sealing.

some of the BEST jelly ever!

On Oct 16, 2004, philomel from Castelnau RB Pyrenes
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

We inherited a couple of Quince trees when we moved to France. They are grown a lot here in Gascony and I've seen them in the Dordogne and Auvergne as well.
They are certainly handsome trees and the fruit is very attractive too, being very furry in the early stages.

Here are some traditional recipes:

PATE DE COINGS, QUINCE PASTE
Here is the easiest country method of making thick quince paste.
Rub the quinces with a cloth to remove the down. Put them,
whole and unpeeled, into a big, tall earthenware crock or jar,
without any water. Leave them, covered, in a low oven until they are soft but not breaking up. When they are cool enough to handle, slice them, without peeling them, into a bowl, discarding the cores and any bruised o... read more

On Apr 13, 2004, angelam from melbourne
Australia wrote:

I think this is a much underrated tree. It is a good small size.The blossom is beautiful, opening from pink to white. The foliage is handsome being a fresh green (although with us it does seem more prone than its relations to cherry slug). And the fruit is delicious and not prone to bird damage.
The fruit has to be cooked, but for nowhere near as long as most cookbooks seem to say. Most reccommend 2 hrs.
I find 20-30mins plenty. Long cooking does however cause the fruit to develop a very attractive deep red colour, which won't occur in the shorter time.
We grow the variety ''Champion'' and I'd happily add other varieties to the garden.

On Aug 30, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Fruiting Quince is often overlooked in favor of flowering quince, which is unfortunate, since C. oblonga has thornless branches, edible fruit, provides winter interest with gnarled branches and blooms in the spring.