Ground Morning Glory
Convolvulus mauritanicus

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Convolvulus (kon-VOLV-yoo-lus) (Info)
Species: mauritanicus (maw-rih-TAWN-ee-kus) (Info)
Synonym:Convolvulus sabatius

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Medium Blue

Queen Creek, Arizona

Tempe, Arizona

Hathaway Pines, California

Lake Forest, California

Lemon Grove, California

Long Beach, California

Rancho Santa Fe, California

Sacramento, California (2 reports)

Santa Monica, California

Garland, Texas

San Angelo, Texas

Sequim, Washington

On Jun 29, 2015, RSFGardener from Rancho Santa Fe, CA wrote:

I've had this my San Diego (inland) front yard for the past year. We're in a drought and so far it has tolerated hot, dry conditions. It spreads nicely, attracts bees and butterflies, and has bloomed repeatedly.

On Apr 17, 2012, nifty413 from Garland, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant has survived many challenges here in my Zone 8a garden: the worst single-year drought ever recorded combined with the greatest number of 100F+ high temperatures in a calendar year without any supplemental irrigation (it went dormant); a recorded low temperature of 11F; heavy clay soil with limestone fragments (relatively high pH).

On Jul 9, 2010, GardenSox from Sacramento, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

One of my favorite plants to use in pots and in the landscape. In pots it makes a great "spiller" and when it gets plenty of water it will bloom for about 8 months out of the year here in zone 9a. The roots seem to grow vigorously so I've had the most success when it is in bigger pots with regular water.

In the ground, however, this has been one of the easiest to maintain ground covers I've ever planted. It does spread and make you worry about it being invasive but in my experience growth has been easy to contain simply by occasional pruning.

On Apr 5, 2010, peejay12 from Porthleven, Helston, Cornwall
United Kingdom (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is a real gem of a plant - an evergreen, fast growing ground cover with a constant supply of flowers.

I live in a zone 9b area, and In the right conditions, ie full sun, well drained soil, this plant can grow five feet across or more, and flowers all summer. In warmer climates it might be invasive -- but who cares? It spreads by underground stems which pop up a foot or so from the main plant. These make good cuttings.

For five years my two plants made a spectacular display, but an unusually severe frost of -6 C killed both plants. Later on I grew a lot more and these survived every winter - I plant them everywhere. As R Weiler said, sometimes they refuse to grow and die off (?)

The flowers open sky blue and then change to a more violet ... read more

On Jul 1, 2006, croclover from Lake Forest, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Drought tolerant and can take abuse. Grows well with roses and is disease resistant. Great carefree plant to fill in the gaps of your flower beds or to let spill over river rock.

On Aug 15, 2005, rweiler from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

I was excited to find these in my local Albuquerque nurseries. I planted 2 (gallon size) in different locations, 1 fun sun and one partial. One died suddenly after one month, from seemly healthy to dried up completely in 4 days. The other has been fantastic for 4 months. Then again suddenly, died the same death in 4 days. I am baffled. I was wondered I had overwatered, but in dry, 90 degree NM weather it is extremely hard to overwater. I hope you have better luck!

On Jun 9, 2004, golgi from Willoughby, OH (Zone 5a) wrote:

Blooms continuously throughout summer.Survived the winter indoors,and started blooming immediately after planted outdoors again. Great for pots,hanging baskets,flower boxes.Almost electric blue!