PlantFiles: Fingerleaf Rodgersia, Rodgers Flower
Rodgersia aesculifolia

Family: Saxifragaceae (saks-ih-frag-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rodgersia (rod-JER-see-a) (Info)
Species: aesculifolia (es-kew-li-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)

Bronze-Green

By mgarr
Thumbnail #6 of Rodgersia aesculifolia by mgarr

By Todd_Boland
Thumbnail #7 of Rodgersia aesculifolia by Todd_Boland

Positive soldiersong On Jul 14, 2009, soldiersong from North Plains, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have no memory of where I bought this, but it is in my shade garden and is magnificent. It came up this spring and, although I had a marker there it was not legible. It grew and grew all spring and about two weeks ago these beautiful pink sprays of flowers, appearing much like a drooping Astible, bloomed on the top of the two 5; tall leafy spikes. It is quite a shade brightener.

Neutral PhilsFlowers On Jun 5, 2007, PhilsFlowers from Ocean Park, Surrey, BC (Zone 6b) wrote:

We went to the VanDusen Gardens Plant Sale where, as usual, I had so many plants we had to pay for what we had, put them in the car and come back for more. By the time I got to the table with the Rodgersia they had this poor wee thing which was nothing more than what looked like a seed with a folded leaf at the top. Only its roots were in the ground. Reggi didn't want me to buy it, the plant was expensive, but what I could see of it looked healthy so I did.

Because I could not take the time to mark the location of this plant in any other way, at that time, Reggi stuck the plant tag, still in the dirt, in the ground with the plant.

I didn't know it's name because I hadn't taken out the tag. I did that yesterday only to find that the tag must have been broken when the plant committee was placing tags in the pots. All I am left with is RODGE. Can any one identify the variety for me?

The plant looks healthy and seems to like its location but to look after it properly I need more information about it. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Neutral Toxicodendron On May 27, 2005, Toxicodendron from Piedmont, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

After spending $10 on this plant, growing it for 5 years in a moist, shady bed of rich soil, and never seeing a bloom, I moved it. It is now in a sunny spot by a stream, in average to poor soil and is thriving. I have had no insect damage (usually the caterpillars eat a lot of unsightly holes in the leaves) and I see a bloom stalk appearing for the first time in 6 years. Hopefully, it will make a nice bloom and I will be able to post a picture here.

Positive henryr10 On May 26, 2005, henryr10 from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

Be very careful working in the area this is planted.
It is very late to come up.
I thought we had lost it to a cold wet Spring.
Our's is just now appearing and it's Memorial Day weekend.

Neutral vagardener On May 25, 2005, vagardener from Springfield, VA wrote:

I just planted the fingerleaf this year in a moist shady part of my garden. I put it in a spot that is troublesome, because of snails and slugs. I tried several Ligularia in that spot of my garden and no matter what I did they were destroyed by the end of the summer. I was attacted to Rodgersia, because of its rough textured leaves. I assumed this plant may be slug proof. So far so good. It appears to be thriving with no leaf loss and much new growth.

Neutral SunshineSue On May 28, 2003, SunshineSue from Mississauga, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

Neutral simply because this plant is a new addition to my shade garden. It looked to be something that would be a bit unusual, slightly tropical looking in appearance & large. I'll get back to you all to let you know how my summer went with this plant & the progress that it makes. Happy gardening!!

Neutral Terry On Aug 30, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Rodgersias were popular in Victorian times, and have recently received renewed interest as gardeners look for bold, unusual plants for their gardens.

R. aesculifolia has leaves that resemble a horsechestnut, with bronze veining Plant in a moist, shady spot with room for the plant to stretch; it doesn't look its best when crowded.

East Haddam, Connecticut