Salvia, Sage
Salvia 'Mystic Spires Blue'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Salvia (SAL-vee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Mystic Spires Blue
Additional cultivar information:(PP18054, aka Balsalmisp)
Hybridized by Trees/Chou
Registered or introduced: 2005
» View all varieties of Salvias

Blue-Violet

Late Fall/Early Winter

Blue-Green

Aromatic

This plant is resistant to deer

Patented

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Birmingham, Alabama

Fort Pierce, Florida

Homosassa, Florida

Lake Wales, Florida

Palm Coast, Florida

Pensacola, Florida (2 reports)

Riverview, Florida

Scroggins, Texas

Spring, Texas

Lakewood, Washington

On Oct 21, 2012, lmlangston from Pensacola, FL wrote:

This plant is a must have if you're looking to attract pollinators, especially bumblebees. Good gracious, they even cover the blooms I deadhead like crazy! I'm in NW FL
zone 8a, and they grow tallest (3-4 ft. tall, 3 ft. wide) in full sun, but grow and flower well in partial shade too- just not as tall. I work in a little mushroom compost in Sept., cut them back when it's consistently cold (Jan. here), and they've rewarded me for 3 yrs now with beautiful blue flowers on sturdy stems from spring thru fall. They're pretty drought tolerant too, once established, and don't self-seed. Love them!

On May 16, 2011, rweiler from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

Brilliant plant!!! I planted a quart size guy in Nov. 2010 and Albuquerque (6b-7a) experienced the harshest winter in 30 years. 3-4 months of 10-40 degree weather with quite a number of 0 degree days. I was shocked to see it popping back up this Spring. I bought 3 more. I'll be anxious to see how they do through our hot,dry summers!

UPDATE 8/4/12...after giving this such a "brilliant" review I have been terribly disappointed that after this plant made it through 2 harsh winters, it started coming up this April, was quickly a foot tall, looking fantastic, then DIED overnight. Only one out of four are still alive. I now feel they are quite fickle but worth a try.

On May 24, 2010, angcentralfl from Homosassa, FL wrote:

I started a butterfly garden in May 2009, and this was one of the first things I added to it, after seeing it at our local HD. We had our worst winter EVER and everything froze, including this plant which had reached 3 ft. tall. It was frozen all the way to the ground, and to date 5/2010 it is over 5 feet tall, and I now need to move it elsewhere! One of my favorite plants I've planted, and as far as I'm concerned, this is a "must-have", as it attracts bees, hummingbirds, and is a butterfly favorite! Holds up amazingly well to the Florida heat, and my lack of gardening experience.. will let you know when it's thirsty as it "sags".

On Dec 29, 2009, anniegolden from Dover, DE wrote:

This is simply an astonishing plant! It makes you feel like a gardening genius. I bought mine as a battered, leggy 1-quart plant and after 6 weeks in the ground (7a) it was 3 feet tall, almost as wide and covered in bloom. Love it. Looks great with yellow, pink, peach, white, red, anything, really. The stems are so sturdy and branch-like, that it almost seems like a shrub.

On Apr 2, 2009, trackinsand from mid central, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

this salvia gets much larger than anticipated here in central florida. i started with 3 plants in the same general area and ended up moving them to different locations around my grounds and garden. they got to 5' the first summer. now i usually cut them back before they get that tall. they also spread out fairly wide, 3 to 4 feet at least.

according to Plant Delights Nursery, Salvia balsamisp 'Mystic Spires' started as a radiation-induced mutation on S. 'Indigo Spires' in 2003.

mine is basically evergreen although a hard freeze will brown it up some, as happened this past winter. it's already blooming again-a month later.

just picked up some more of this salvia. the tag is confusing because it says Salvia longispicata x farinacea 'Mystic S... read more

On Oct 18, 2008, crowellli from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant blooms almost non stop, year round for me. It does get a LOT larger than it's listing indicates. When it gets too leggy, I whack it back and it jumps back out with fresh foliage and more blooms. Height gets to 3' or more in Houston. Hummers and butterflies love it.

On Aug 17, 2008, marsue from Isabella, MO (Zone 6b) wrote:

I love this salvia and so do the bees and hummers! Butterflies have been scarce in our area this year but if they were here, I am sure they would love it, too! I have it planted on the west side of my house where it gets none of the morning sun and all of the afternoon sun and it has done very well. The two plants I have are about 36" tall. I may transplant one of them to another bed that receives sun all day and see how it does there. The only drawback to it is that it smells like cat urine! :o(( However, I don't have to spend much time weeding that particular flower bed, as it is well mulched. As this is my first year to grow it, I don't know how it will do through our winter. Our winters usually aren't harsh but we do have snow from time to time. I'm hoping it will come back n... read more

On Jun 13, 2008, dcroyle1 from Chandler, AZ wrote:

Planted 3 of these on a east facing wall(sun from sunrise to noon and lots of radiated heat from block fence) next to swimming pool. Started as 3 quart plants in November. As of mid June plants are 36" tall and 36" round with huge flower stalks. They are watered for 2 gallons every 10 days when temps over 90. Plants show no signs of heat stress.

On Apr 27, 2008, WombatFamily from Brenham, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Growing like CRAZY, looks fabulous. Love love so far.

On Nov 17, 2006, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

I love this Salvia! It's wonderful and beautiful! And, it gets more wonderful and beautiful as the season progresses! This is my first (but, not last) season for growing it! I'm hoping it overwinters here in my Zone 6 garden. If not, I'll get another one to plant in the garden next time. A+ flower!