Leopard's Bane

Doronicum orientale

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Doronicum (dor-ON-ih-kum) (Info)
Species: orientale (or-ee-en-TAY-lee) (Info)
Synonym:Doronicum caucasicum
Synonym:Doronicum caucasium
Synonym:Doronicum cordatum

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Scarify seed before sowing

Birchwood, Wisconsin

Menasha, Wisconsin

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

On Apr 23, 2012, Ariesca from Lillooet, BC (Zone 6b) wrote:

Little Leo popped up last spring in our new home. It's just about to bloom again (April-end). We are zone 8a wet Pacific climate.
It is a little treasure, because it appears to be trouble-free and there is not much else in bloom yet. I will divide and move it around to go with tulips, perhaps mauve/purple rock plants, early rhodos...

On Aug 10, 2011, anelson from Birchwood, WI (Zone 3b) wrote:

This wonderful plant sends up its yellow blooms when nothing else is blooming yet and makes it possible to believe that spring will indeed come. I was puzzled to see it listed as zone 4b on this site because so many are growing it in colder zones. I do not give it any special protection and it comes up reliably every year.

On May 14, 2011, salacinski from Laurel, MT (Zone 4a) wrote:

Just purchased three of these plants this spring. Lovely, perky, yellow flowers. Does anyone have any idea whether these plants are prolific seed droppers?

On Mar 29, 2008, Mountaindave from Port Orchard, WA wrote:

Jeepers what a perfect little plant! Its out there as I write in late March in 35 degree snowy weather, blooming its little heart out amongst the daffodils. And it goes until fall? If so, I'm planting 100 of them from seed. March color problem solved!

On Jun 25, 2006, bigcityal from Menasha, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I like this little plant, it comes up and flowers when not many other perennials are and then is inconspicuous the rest of the year.

On Jun 4, 2006, ffp from Saskatoon

I have successfully grown leopard's bane in Calgary (zone 3) and Saskatoon (zone 2b). We cover them with a mulch of leaves in the fall, and they have come back every spring. I currently have two plants, which are both under "part sun" conditions - although one is more shaded than the other. They both do well -- over 40 blooms on the one plant this spring!

On Jun 19, 2005, sweetutopia from Uxbridge(TORONTO)

I purchased 3 tiny leopard's Bane plants last year. It has grown amazingly well. Full bloom. It seems to have grown to it's maximum height
Do I cut the flower heads off or do I cut it back. I live an hour north east of Toronto in zone 5.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thank you!

On Jun 12, 2004, JJBS from Grand Blanc, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

Little Leo has been growing in our garden for five years. It started out from a 3 inch pot, and now the clump is about 18 inches around. It is growing in clay, in what was semi-shade but the tree blew down, so is now in full sun. It blooms reliably every year and is among the earliest of the perennials here, often snowed on. The leaves are attractive even after the daisy like blooms are gone. We will be dividing it this fall.

On Aug 31, 2001, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Easily grown in average, medium wet, well-drained soil in full sun to part shade. Prefers moist, humusy soils in full sun in the cooler areas of its range, but needs some afternoon shade in hot, humid southern climates. Not reliably winter hardy throughout all of Zone 5, so it is best grown in a protected location with a winter mulch therein. Shallow roots also benefit from a summer mulch which will help keep them cool.

On Aug 30, 2001, Sis wrote:

Soil must not dry out while plant is actively growing.

Divide in spring or fall. Sow seed indoors in late winter or early spring.