Heartleaf Bergenia, Pigsqueak
Bergenia cordifolia

Family: Saxifragaceae (saks-ih-frag-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Bergenia (ber-GEN-ee-a) (Info)
Species: cordifolia (kor-di-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Megasea cordifolia
Synonym:Saxifraga cordifolia

Bronze-Green

Flowers are good for drying and preserving

Rubbery-Textured

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Anchorage, Alaska (2 reports)

Juneau, Alaska

Williamsburg, Ohio

Salem, Oregon

Albion, Pennsylvania

Norristown, Pennsylvania

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (2 reports)

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Gainesboro, Tennessee

Johnson City, Tennessee

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Leesburg, Virginia

Kirkland, Washington

Olympia, Washington

Spokane, Washington (2 reports)

Stanwood, Washington

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

On Aug 12, 2015, 47jardin from Laguna Niguel, CA wrote:

I have two varieties of bergenia, one very large ruffled leaf and a few regular ones. I am curious about whether I can cut off the head and replant it. Also will the remaining stump sprout?

On Dec 5, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This is a beautiful plant where well grown.

I have seen many in this area, and most do not thrive. It has never thrived for me. In my experience, it seems to lack vigor in this climate (Boston Z6a).

This is grown for its evergreen foliage, which turns an attractive bronze/burgundy in cold weather, but winter damage to the leaves is considerable in most winters, spoiling the appearance even as far south as Z7.

I also rarely see plants without many disfiguring notches eaten from the edges of the leaves. I suspect black vine weevil is the culprit, and that it's in the pots at the nurseries. (Slugs and snails might be the cause, too.) Perhaps this, not climate, is the reason this plant usually fails to thrive here.

Called pigsqueak be... read more

On Jul 1, 2010, akcrafter from Philadelphia, PA wrote:

I grew bergenia in my shade garden in Anchorage for many years. Bergenia did not seem to like spruce a lot, but didn't die. Just kind of hunkered down determinedly. They tolerate cold and snow, often showing their flowers before the snow is all gone in Anchorage. Under birch they were absolutely huge and enthusiastic spreaders, in an area that few other plants seemed to like. Now I live in Philadelphia PA and found some last year to put in sun and shade areas to see how they grow here. They seem happy in both part shade and morning sun. I was pessimistic about their ability to thrive here as I was told by some local gardeners that bergenia were not common here. Mine are happy campers, making a lovely border for my fern and shade perennial garden. The lovely leathery leaves are a g... read more

On Jan 23, 2010, bonehead from Cedarhome, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I will try to like this plant more. I've had it in my front garden for many years and mostly find it to be a squatty thing with gaudy pink flowers. I think I'll divide it and let it have more of a presence and see if I warm up to it. I do like the common name, pigsqueak - does anyone know where that originated?

On Nov 23, 2009, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

These plants make a wonderful addition to the front of the shade border. They can get fungus if the weather is too wet. Spray with fungicide and it will clear up as the weather dries out. The early spring blooms are wonderful. Unfortunately, my bunnies keep confusing them with giant cabbages!

On Oct 29, 2009, mslehv from Columbus, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I originally purchased several of these plants in 1991 and transplanted them twice, most recently this spring. Much to my surprise, one bloomed in mid-August. This was in part sun. Another, in full sun, bloomed at the end of August. We'll see what happens next year, whether the bloom time normalizes.

On May 13, 2006, TBGDN from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I saw this plant potted in a quart container at a local nursery. Its shiny green leaves had a feel of leather, and were quite attractive. That was over six years ago. Today it is in the same shade garden where it was originally planted. It has increased laterally with new growth spreading in all directions. The leaves take a beating in our severe winters, but although tattered and somewhat ragged looking the plant thrives seemingly on neglect.

On Jul 23, 2004, pokerboy from Canberra
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have watered this plant just 3 times from early spring till early winter and it thrived!!! Considering this summer was extremely dry and hot, I consider this plant very hardy!!! Now it is shooting it's Hot pink flowers up into the air that last quite a long time in a vase. I NEVER fertilize it!!! I love this plant so much!!! It is so good for beginners. pokerboy.

On Jun 9, 2004, WeedPuhler from Edmonton, Canada
wrote:

An often over looked and wrongly planted perennial in our St. Albert, Alberta neighbourhood, I bought this plant for the hard to landscape shade under our poplar... It did not die off during our harsh winter (+3-4 ft. of snow at all times). It GREW! It covered our Asiatic lily to the point I could not see it coming up until yesterday! A siberian native, it dislikes full sun, and WILL NOT BLOOM if too hot. But under the tree, planted with some sheep manure and peat moss ammended soil, front row, it is blooming the tallest, hot pink flowers!

On May 26, 2004, akgriff from Anchorage, AK wrote:

We moved into a new house this fall. This spring when the snow melted, all five feet of it, there were these large green leaves flattened by the snow. Within a week they perked up and 3 weeks later they were blooming. I was amazed to find green leaves after six months under the snow in Alaska.

On May 30, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Species bergenia thrives where most other plants fail in my garden. Its flowering is hit-or-miss, depending on growing conditions, but the foliage is very attractive, and resists damage from slugs.

As the plant becomes over-crowded with crowns, it is very simple to cut the plant apart and replant. The remaining stems attached to the root can be left in place to produce new leaves.

On Mar 9, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I grew Bergenia from seed two years ago (my brain just wouldn't let my heart buy the gallon-sized pots for $8 each.) It was tiny the first year, a little bigger the next, and is finally coming into its own in its third season (as is the case with most perennials.)

It has survived my clay soils, some benign neglect in the hottest part of summer, and being transplanted whenever I decided I'd plunk it elsewhere.

Bergenia has a lot going for it - thick glossy evergreen foliage that sometimes has a bronzed or purple hue. Thick flower stems emerge from the crown of the plant bearing clusters of single pink blooms in late spring and summer. Plants are long-lived and do best in well-drained soil that is not excessively fertile.

Foliage can become raggy... read more