PlantFiles: Species X Iris
Iris x hollandica 'Miss Saigon'

Family: Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Iris (EYE-ris) (Info)
Species: x hollandica (hol-LAN-dee-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Miss Saigon

Class:
Species

Violet/Lavender

Midseason (M)

Flowers are good for cutting

Awards (if applicable):

By amorecuore
Thumbnail #6 of Iris x hollandica by amorecuore

By plantladylin
Thumbnail #7 of Iris x hollandica by plantladylin

Positive OldPerfessor On May 28, 2012, OldPerfessor from Hazard, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Plated 10 of these bulbs that I purchased at the local Wal-Mart. Wish I had bought twice as many, as they are gorgeous to behold. Would like really nice in a cluster or clump. High eye appeal.

Positive greenpixies On Sep 20, 2010, greenpixies from Natchitoches, LA wrote:

I look forward to this plants emergence every spring! It does wonderfully here in our zone 8a garden and they overwinter right in the ground. I've got them planted in two clumps, slightly mounded up as the bed they live in is one of my few un-raised beds and I wanted to be sure they would not rot. When I remember, once every year or so I ammend bed with compost and feed these Iris' with bone meal.
The have very thin grass like leaves and are a medium height. I highly recommend a cage or other form of staking each clump you plant.
I adore these bright flowers! They are a spring bloomer here and bloom before my Louisiana and Bearded Iris'. I did not expect much when I purchased a bag of bulbs at a big box store some 3 or 4 years ago. I still see them at the H. Depot and others every year. Give it a try. One of those: don't water me too much (will rot) and don't water me too little (won't perform well or have long-lived flowers) plants. Loves lots of sun. Mulch too.

Neutral nxcollectibles On Jun 1, 2008, nxcollectibles from Algonac, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

Grows in Michigan - Lift and store bulbs before frost in peat moss/vermaculite at 50 degrees.

Daytona Beach, Florida