Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Chocolate Cherry'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Chocolate Cherry

Radford, Virginia

Bremerton, Washington

Camano Island, Washington

On Jun 15, 2013, imuneekru from ESSINGTON, PA wrote:

This is my second year growing Chocolate Cherry. It is truly the idiotproof heirloom tomato! And it has a rich, complex flavor that has become a local favorite in my neck of the woods.

The first year, we grew several Chocolate Cherry plants alongside other heirlooms in a community garden. Since it was our first year, the whole garden was subjected to almost criminal neglect--the sum total of care amounted to me standing about with a dumb look on my face, gawking at the plants. Chocolate Cherry survived spring drought and early heat that spiked about 10-20 degrees above our average temps. All the other tomatoes developed blossom-end rot. Even under these conditions, Chocolate Cherry steadily produced the most beautiful, delicious fruit we had ever tasted! It continued to prod... read more

On Sep 20, 2011, compostuser from Bremerton, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I was impressed with the appearance, productivity, taste and texture of this cherry tomato. Because of my limited garden space, this plant will replace the YELLOW PEAR tomato I've grown for the past two years.

On May 31, 2011, Astrogarden from Bend, OR (Zone 5a) wrote:

Planted this in my new greenhouse in Central Oregon at the same time as an early girl (both grown from seed). This thing is
about a foot taller now and threatening the top of the greenhouse and it is only June 1 on a VERY cold (record setting) spring year. It is presently setting fruit. Not as many blossoms as other plants this size but despite it not being a resistant variety, it is the healthiest plant in the greenhouse!

Definitely needs to be started indoors in this climate but sure looks great so far.

Now have the first fruit and the taste is great. It has an interesting, almost citrus-like taste at first bite. Great tomato.

On Oct 25, 2010, WaltRoos from Canton, GA wrote:

My first year with the Chocolate Cherry, and I'm impressed. It was a much hardier tomato plant than most of my other 20+ varieties. and these 1- 1 1/8" cherries taste like a really good old fashion tomato to me. And here near Atlanta, I'm still getting a good harvest. As cherry tomatoes go, the plant gets big and produces a medium crop. The plant in my Earth Box, sitting on a concrete parking area, did the best. My only other Chocolate Cherry plant, in a raised bed, had a smaller crop. I probably only get about 5-6 hours of full sun at either location.

I have read that they easily split like most brown tomatoes, but I don't think I had any to split untill they were way over ripe, so I let them get very mature on the vine, although they seem to ripen well inside the kitchen... read more

On Sep 22, 2008, tuttamatta from Portland, OR wrote:

Now that I have tried it I can say that it is a great cherry tomato, maybe not as prolific as other cherry tomatoes I grew in the past, but great flavor and interesting color.
I will grow it again next year.

On Apr 23, 2008, dancingbear27 from Elba, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

These grew well with a large productive plant. Larger size cherry tomato. Brownish color made my kids not particularly want to eat them because they thought they were "rotten". I would consider them to be a higher acidity than some cherries, but I am partial to yellow and orange tomatoes, which tend to be sweeter and less acetic.

On Nov 28, 2006, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A dark red brown cherry tomato.