Species Orchid, Windowsill Orchid, Formosa Pleione

Pleione formosana

Family: Orchidaceae (or-kid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pleione (plee-OH-nee) (Info)
Species: formosana (for-MOH-sa-nuh) (Info)
Synonym:Pleione hui
Synonym:Pleione pricei

Alpines and Rock Gardens

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Benicia, California

Sebastopol, California

Cathcart, Washington

On Apr 9, 2015, janelp_lee from Toronto, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

It is very common in Taiwan since this plant has been commercially tissue cultured. And just to correct your info, the plant can be propagated by seeds!!

On Oct 31, 2008, haika from Snohomish, WA wrote:

Pleiones are one of my favorite orchids and I've grown this species for several decades. I see it's currently available at Siskiyou Rare Plant Nursery (fall 2008) but I'm sure it's available elsewhere as well. I grow these in pots in the partial sun all spring/summer on the east side of my house on the patio under my upstairs deck and dry them off for the winter right about October. Keep them cool and dry all winter.The leaves will yellow off and drop off. I keep them in my garage for the winter (unheated but above freezing) and I do not water them. I start watching them in January/February to see when new vegetative shoots start forming. This is the trickiest part of Pleione culture. If the plant is too warm when roots are initially forming, you get rot. So, cool and moist (not WET) but ... read more

On Aug 31, 2001, Baa wrote:

Terrestrial orchid from China and Taiwan. Has a large round psuedobulb which produces 1 folded lance shaped leaf up to 5 inches long, which may die before the plant flowers. Bears one pale lilac flower with a white tube like lip and darkish red markings inside the tube, the mouth is slightly fringed, pink margins and purple/pink spots.

P. formosana may be grown outside in a sheltered rock garden if the winter temperatures do not fall below 23F. Their natural habitat is wet woodland and they are at their best in very well drained, leafy, humus rich soil in partial shade. Protect from frosts with an open cloche.