Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Aloe congolensis

Family: Aloaceae
Genus: Aloe (AL-oh) (Info)
Species: congolensis (kon-go-LEN-sis) (Info)

Cactus and Succulents

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Late Fall/Early Winter

Mid Winter

Apache Junction, Arizona

Chandler, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Reseda, California

On Dec 31, 2015, poeciliopsis from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Central Phoenix -- Given the taxonomic confusion surrounding this plant, it may be or may not be that we are all talking about the same species. My plant is definitely not frost-sensitive. It was 27F in my backyard last night, and my A. "congolensis" is fine, despite having several heads sticking well above the layer of pecan leaves that provide "frost protection" to that bed. It has been growing in the ground in that spot since February 2014. The location is partial shade in summer, full sun in winter, with water every other week in summer and none in winter, unless it rains. The plant is healthy and has expanded substantially.

On Aug 30, 2009, Porphyrostachys from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

Generally tolerates the deserts of Arizona fine, but isn't hardy at all. It melted and vanished in the 2007 freeze. Strangely, this July, one plant that got a fair amount of light under shade cloth entirely suffered "heat rot", which is something I've not before experienced with this Aloe. July 2009 went down as the hottest July on record for Phoenix, so it's not surprising this plant didn't hold up - I had many failures this summer. Great potted plant otherwise.

On Dec 13, 2006, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is not an officially described species at this time, but has been named 'unofficially' for many years. I am not sure why this is the case, as it is a consistently described plant, and a common and available one at that. No other name has been given to it that I know of, but perhaps someone will correct me at some time. Sadly it did not appear in the 'Definite Guide' of Aloes published in 2011... maybe the next version?

It is a bright green species with short, stiff, shiny, almost plastic-like leaves that are wedge-shaped and somewhat flat to recurving near the tips. It is an aggressive offsetter, and a good grower (here in southern California), and will eventually take over an area... though it is a low growing species. Rosettes are only about 4"-5" in diameter, ... read more