Yellow Bells, Trumpet Flower 'Sundance Esperanza'

Tecoma stans

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tecoma (tek-OH-muh) (Info)
Species: stans (stanz) (Info)

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Buckeye, Arizona

Zephyrhills, Florida

Sulphur, Louisiana

Youngsville, Louisiana

Fredericksburg, Texas

Georgetown, Texas (2 reports)

Harlingen, Texas

Katy, Texas

Lindale, Texas

Mcallen, Texas

Spring Branch, Texas

On Sep 20, 2015, Conrich10 from Sulphur, LA wrote:

I've grown this plant for well over ten years in southwest Louisiana. It dies down to the ground every winter but sprouts new growth in the spring and It takes very little care.

On Sep 8, 2015, sashamama from Henderson, NV wrote:

Pretty plant. I've just recently planted it [location: LAS VEGAS, NV], waiting to see how it fares ...but I have noticed it is a FAVORITE of the leafcutter bee...barely had it a few days, and little half-moon cutouts showed up everywhere! Definitely cuts into the beautiful appearance of the plant, but there's nothing you can really do about it... That aside, I still like the plant a lot.

On Oct 20, 2014, kmbxx from Gilbert, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

I really like Yellow Bells. They are pretty, grow quickly, they attract, hummers, butterflies, etc. However, I live in the Phoenix area and this past summer was the first time I planted them.... Unfortunately, with all of the rain we had (I think/hope that was the problem) they became infested with numerous pests! The leaves would become skeletonized, I'd spray them with Neem Oil and just a few days later, they would be infested again. I couldn't get the problem under control to save my life. Hoping next season will be easier.

On Jun 1, 2014, Kiyzersoze from Coral Springs, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I have had this plant for several years. It requires absolutely no care here in South Florida. It blooms all of the time and even though it produces millions of seed pods I have never had a problem with it being invasive. Mine is about 9' tall by 9' wide.

On Sep 20, 2011, l_thomas from Katy, TX wrote:

Love this one! It does die back in the winter, but here in our hot dry texas summers this is one of the few stellar performers. A definite show stopper when everything is wilted and suffering from the heat. Requires very little water once established - definitely drought tolerant and produces the most blooms in full sun all day. This does best in hot sunny garden spots where any other plant would roast in the heat of the day and it will be a mass of bright sunny yellow flowers.

On Dec 17, 2006, azrobin from Scottsdale, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

Tecoma stans (yellow trumpet bush), attains small-tree size in the tropics, but not in the desert. It is a shrub in the north because it periodically freezes to the ground. Tecoma is one of many examples of the Sonoran Deserts tropical legacy. Little water once established.