PlantFiles: Poison Suckleya

Species: suckleyana

Synonym:Obione suckleyana

No positives

Neutral MaggieML On Feb 3, 2013, MaggieML from Cokedale, CO wrote:

This plant - Poison Suckleya. Suckleya suckleyana - Chenopodiaceae (Goosefoot family).- has shown up among other plants named for posing fairly serious risk to grazing livestock. I am completely unfamiliar with it, but stumbled across it minutes ago while researching a different plant.

From what I've learned, it grows wild in a relatively restricted region of North America. I live in southern Colorado, one of the regions where it might be found, although to my knowledge I've not seen it. (I'm relatively new to this region and don't know all local wild vegetation, habits, etc.) Multiple sources of photos and facts are available by internet search, including many state agricultural fact sheets.

I make it a point to not harbor plants on my property that could spread locally and find their way into hay or grazing fields, so come spring, will be on the lookout for this one!

As I understand it, toxicity can vary depending on growing conditions, and, its appeal to grazing animals also may be greater when other forage is less available.

Please research this plant if for any reason it appeals!

Neutral frostweed On Dec 28, 2006, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Poison Suckleya Suckleya suckleyana is native to Texas and other States.