PlantFiles: Burkwood Daphne
Daphne x burkwoodii 'Carol Mackie'

Family: Thymelaeaceae
Genus: Daphne (DAF-nee) (Info)
Species: x burkwoodii (berk-WOOD-ee-eye) (Info)
Cultivar: Carol Mackie

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Variegated

Thumbnail #6 of Daphne x burkwoodii by ladygardener1

By ineedacupoftea
Thumbnail #7 of Daphne x burkwoodii by ineedacupoftea

Positive coriaceous On Mar 12, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This is one plant that's worth all the hype it receives in the fine gardening press.

It blooms profusely and reliably in May, but it also repeat blooms well at other times, seemingly on whim. I've seen it in bloom in November, in February---I'm not sure there's a month in which I haven't seen it bloom. The fragrance is sweet and it perfumes the air.

The foliage is close to evergreen here, though in bad winters it only hangs on to the leaves at the tips.

Plants never seem to get much over two feet tall. If they don't first drop mysteriously dead, as daphnes are wont to do, at some point their main stems will split and they sprawl. I've seen several old plants at least 8 feet across, sprawling outward from their broken centers. They still bloom well, and contribute to the landscape despite their doughnut shape.

Good drainage is a requirement. I've seen plants performing adequately in partial to medium shade.

I've never had the courage to prune a daphne beyond removing broken branches.

Positive AvonRose On Jul 12, 2013, AvonRose from Avon, CT wrote:

I live on a ridge in Avon CT and planted an 8" trident potted sprig eleven years ago. It grew to about 31/2' high and 41/2' wide. The past two winters have been brutal and two of the three the 6-7" circumference trunks split near the base. It has been a spectacular show since year one. A horticultuaralist said the remaining healthy trunk and considerable bush can be saved with careful pruning and care. We will "go for it". I will also try to grow a wood cutting from this shrub with his help.

Positive rkwright85 On Jul 14, 2012, rkwright85 from Horton, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

Nice daphne, fragrance is so strong it is almost overwhelming. They split in two a lot of times when they get older, keeping long extension growth trimmed back after flowering helps a little. Like any daphne, does not like to be disturbed once it is planted. Pick a spot and keep it there or it will likely die. Burkwood daphnes are one of the easiest to grow, just give it good drainage and sun.

Neutral esteve59 On Oct 19, 2011, esteve59 from Annapolis, MD wrote:

I planted a "matched" pair of these on each side of my walkway about 2-3 years ago and they grew fairly fast.
But,one of them just died...now I have to move the other one,,,

Positive patienceplus On May 15, 2011, patienceplus from Voluntown, CT wrote:

This is one of my most treasured shrubs. It's flowers fill the air with a sent I wish I could wear. I do have a question, however, It has grown mostly wide from the base, like octopus tentacles. The branches reach in all directions and are healthy and productive. The center, on the other hand is bare with just 4" thick branches exposed. Can this shrub be pruned way back to force these branches to sprout or does this shrub not take kindly to severe pruning?

Positive windsocklady On Jun 2, 2009, windsocklady from Elbridge, NY wrote:

I got two of these plants from White Flower Farms about 5 years ago. They were in 1 gal. containers. I have them planted in a raised flower bed and they get full sun to partial shade. They must like it there as they have grown to approximately 4' x 4'. I have people who stop in and comment on the sweet fragrance when they are in bloom. I will enjoy these shrubs for as long as possible. I understand they are short-lived, so I hope they last a while.

Positive stormyla On Nov 22, 2008, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is by far, the most commented on plant in my shrub bed. It is just beautiful and vigorous. It requires almost no care and increases in size dramatically each year. Visitors love it's beautiful form, color and fragrance.

Positive irishbelle On May 25, 2006, irishbelle from Orange County, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love this shrub. Two of mine have been growing in a bed on a slight slope with excellent drainage and morning sun for four years. They were planted as very small one gallon plants. The blooms are now abundant, though it took me three years before I received a heavy bloom. They smell heavenly, but at first it can be so sweet that enjoying the fragrance from a distance is better than sticking your nose in the flowers :-) Mine have attained a height of about 3+ feet and a spread of about 3.5 - 4 feet. Daphnes are supposedly deer resistant. While I don't get a lot of deer damage because they lose most of their leaves in my zone, I do experience some slight "chew pruning" (stole that term from some one on DG). This pruning method actually seems beneficial for my plants. I trim off the ragged ends, and my daphnes reward me with lush fully leafed out shrubs and fabulous new growth by the end of May. In colder climates they can be slow to leaf out again. One of my plants is a full two weeks behind the other, so allow some time before giving up your daphne for dead in the spring.

Positive dahlia_guy On Sep 11, 2003, dahlia_guy from Saint Helens, OR wrote:

Very nice plant. They can be fussy about thier soil. It must be well drained. Also, water as little as possible during the summer, this will result in better blooms. They can however suffer from unexplained illness' without any warning. Enjoy them as long as you can but don't be suprised if one day they get sick without warning.

Positive jjkatt On May 31, 2003, jjkatt from Derry, NH wrote:

I inherited 3 of these when I purchased a house 2 year ago and they seemed to be doing fine until this spring when I discovered that one of the three had not survived the winter. Winter was brutal here with the longest stretches of sub-20 degree weather that anyone can remember. I also found small, bright orange spots on the trunk of the dead one.

Positive lupinelover On Jan 13, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

As a named cultivar, this plant does not come true from seed. The rooted cuttings tend to be pricey, due to the difficulty in propagating it. Mine is worth every penny.

Daphnes have a reputation for being short-lived; however many individual plants reach several decades in age. I sure hope mine does!

Neutral Terry On Mar 9, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Burkwood Daphnes are the result of a cross between D. cneorum and D. caucasica. The resulting cultivar was named for Mrs. Carolyn Brett (formerly Carol Mackie), who discovered the mutation of the hybrid in her New Jersey garden.

Two smallish plants were set out in my garden last year; contrary to warnings of slow growth, they each put on good growth and remained evergreen here in our (slightly-warmer-than-typical) zone 6b/7a winter. They even flowered, and the fragrance is VERY distinctive. A great plant that doesn't seem to need a lot of care.

Hydesville, California