PlantFiles: Dwarf Crape Myrtle, Miniature Crape Myrtle
Lagerstroemia 'Supersonic Mix'

Family: Lythraceae (ly-THRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lagerstroemia (la-ger-STREEM-ee-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Supersonic Mix

» View all varieties of Crepe Myrtles

Good Fall Color

By ineedacupoftea
Thumbnail #1 of Lagerstroemia  by ineedacupoftea

Positive RedLeopard2 On May 21, 2013, RedLeopard2 from Naples, FL wrote:

Purchased a pack of seed last spring from Park's. The pkg stated low germination rate so extra seed were included. Only a few germinated. Since I really wanted this plant, I purchased a second pkt of seed, getting several more seedlings. With numerous projects going and limited time available for them, there were losses, but all told, I ended up with a total of 11 plants:

1 Dark Red
3 Med Pink
1 Med Pink with white picotee edges
1 Dark Pink
2 White
3 Deep Purple

Plants started having occasional blooms when only a couple inches tall. The more they grew, the more they bloomed.

Seems like the low germination rate is normal, but I have a number of seedlings from seed I collected from my plants last winter. They are 1-1.5" tall now, and one already is showing a bud. I'm curious to see what colors these turn out to be, as I have no knowledge of the color genetics of Crepe Myrtles, and at any rate can't be sure there was no cross-pollination.

All in all, a heavy-blooming, beautiful plant, and well worth spreading more around my yard!

Positive Debbie2007 On Nov 2, 2009, Debbie2007 from Port Vincent, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Blooming the first year from seed, this fast growing variety displays abundant clusters of 2 inch blooms in bright vivid shades of red, pink, white, and deep purple. This dwarf variety sports long lasting blooms and brilliant red foliage in the fall. Drought tolerant as well, an ideal choice for containers and is hardy in zones 7-10. First year, compact plants just a foot tall and wide! Reaching just 3 to 5 feet tall and wide at maturity (3 to 4 years after sowing), Sneering at the heat and drought that collapses less tough specimens, this Crape Myrtlette is at its heavy-bearing best in the dog days of August, when all around it the summer annuals are drooping from exhaustion! Perfect for sunny beds, large containers on the blazing patio or at poolside, it also makes a spectacular edging for asphalt driveways. Remaining compact and fresh well into fall,

Positive ineedacupoftea On Jan 3, 2007, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote:

Grown easily from seed- plants that bloom on tiny plants, used as annuals.

Naples, Florida