Creeping Liriope
Liriope spicata 'Cassidy'

Family: Ruscaceae
Genus: Liriope (lir-RYE-oh-pee) (Info)
Species: spicata (spi-KAH-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Cassidy

Okatie, South Carolina

Galveston, Texas

Stevens Point, Wisconsin

On Oct 19, 2010, sueroderus from Bluffton, SC wrote:

I purchased six of these plants near Miami, Florida and planted it in zone 8b, SC. They all lived through a very cold winter. The plants have stayed curly. I was told with too much sun they would not. Deer or rabbits do browse it in my area.

On Apr 13, 2010, FairIsleFish from Tallahassee, FL wrote:

Received one of these as a gift, it was purchased at my local Publix from the floral department. Very cute! It's been about 2 1/2 years, and I'd just left it in the same pot.

The first year it lived in my window sill and was very well maintained, then I had to move a lot of stuff around and it got evicted! My mom took it on for the next year, and sad to say she does not have the greenest of thumbs, and it was outside almost the entire winter, which was one of the coldest and wettest we've ever seen here in North Florida, broke a lot of records. Silly thing still made it through without too much loss, a few brown shoots, and most all lost the tips, but it's rebounded quite nicely this spring.

We decided to repot it last week, and WOW. One HECK of a rootball, v... read more

On Jul 3, 2009, ChuLin from Stevens Point, WI wrote:

I found one of these at Kmart a year ago. It has lived happily in a pot in my living room ever since; medium light and medium watering. It just gets bigger and curlier....I love it. Mine is the only one I have ever seen anywhere around here or anywhere. ChuLin in mid-Wisconsin

On Oct 27, 2007, lakeshoredrive from Chicago, IL wrote:

This is totally one of the cutest plants ever. The leaves look like curling ribbon and everyone who sees it has to touch it! Unfortunately, after I planted one in the ground two years back I found out the hard way that it's not hardy in Chicago. However, it is easy to grow in a pot and bring inside during the winter months.

On Jan 7, 2007, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I got this plant in Summer 2006, skeptic that it would retain its curls. Well it has! Very lovely plant. Mine is planted in a pot, mostly sun, average water.

On Jan 6, 2007, Snowrose from Frederick, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

New cultivar Liriope 'Cassidy' also known as 'Curly Liriope' is a mutant of an unamed Liriope spicata discovered in Puerto Rico in 1996. Ornamental perennial exhibiting linear curly leaves which grow from a basal clump.