Hubricht's Blue Star, Narrow Leaf Blue Star, Arkansas Amsonia, Arkansas Bluebell

Amsonia hubrichtii

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Amsonia (am-SO-nee-uh) (Info)
Species: hubrichtii (hew-BRIK-tee-eye) (Info)
Synonym:Amsonia hubrechtii

Mount Prospect, Illinois

Plainfield, Illinois

Washington, Illinois

Indianapolis, Indiana

Jeffersonville, Indiana (2 reports)

Iowa City, Iowa

Charleston, West Virginia

Bayfield, Wisconsin

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

On Sep 18, 2015, wendymadre from Petersburg, VA wrote:

In my Zone 7A, Petersburg, Virginia garden, I have had an Amsonia hubrichtii for about four years. It has spread about three to four feet, and is dealing valiantly with not getting regular water. In mid-September, I've harvested some of the seeds from the long, skinny pods, and I want to plant them in a pot so that I can see what they look like when they germinate. I've dug up about four seedlings that I think are from the hubrichtii, but they look a lot like a vigorous euphorbia/spurge that's planted nearby, so I want to be sure. I also have an Amsonia tabernaemontana, which has been planted for several years longer and has been quite prolific with seedlings. I dig them up and pot them and pass them along. I've been looking forward to the hubrichtii seeding itself more heavily. Heal... read more

On May 16, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A beautiful plant with fine-textured foliage. Requires no care. Gets much bigger than you'd expect in time.

The flowers are a washy blue and last only about 10 days. This is mainly a foliage plant. An amsonia with more deeply colored flowers is 'Blue Ice'.

Needs full sun to get the beautiful yellow fall color. In partial/light shade it goes fall dormant without the foliage turning yellow.

On May 14, 2015, crazy4sedum from Pottsville, AR (Zone 7a) wrote:

Arkansas native, so had to have it in my garden. Beautiful ferny foliage, blue flowers in spring, gold foliage in fall. All visitors comment on it. Have to be patient - takes a while to establish but then is carefree. Great plant.

On Jul 23, 2013, rteets from Stroudsburg, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is at the top of my list of must-have perennials. Three seasons of spectacular beauty with the most minimal care. I don't believe in 15 years I have ever had to give supplemental water to it. I cut down the old foliage in the late winter and shear off about 1/3 of it after flowering so it doesn't get floppy and that is it. Period. No pruning, no shaping, nothing in 15 years. This is the kind of plant that would make anyone look like a gardener! The only caveat about it is that it takes several years to reach maturity so be patient. Also be sure you put it where you want it to stay. Even the little ones have a LONG root. I can't even imagine what the grown ones must have. One last thing - it has a milky sap that deer won't even touch. I consider it one of the most depe... read more

On Jun 11, 2013, BoPo from Milwaukee, WI (Zone 5b) wrote:

Since the pic I posted from 2011, she's dwindled on me and has gotten much smaller which I attribute (possibly) to a tree nearby maturing and giving her much more shade than in prior years.

Fast forward to 2013, she's much more sparse and while she still blooms (in bloom now, zone 5 WI) she has only 10 stems. Miss the beautiful show and spectacular color she puts on in the fall.

I have her planted in rich black compacted soil, somewhat clayish about 18" deep.

Time to move her to more optimal conditions in full sun. I think she'll look great against the backdrop of my purple leaf sandcherries in the fall.

A wonderful interplanting with Bergenia (pigsqueak) plants.

On May 7, 2012, floraphiliac from Ludington, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is one of my favorite garden plants. It looks great all season long and is maintenance free. I love the texture of the foliage. I enjoy "petting" the plant, it feels like a big soft furred bush lol!
I dug up my mature specimen recently this early spring to move it and was pleased to see that it is coming along nicely, even though I accidentally cut off some long thick roots while transplanting it.

On Apr 15, 2012, antennaria from Jeffersonville, IN wrote:

It grows in a very nice vase-shape and never needs staking or watering. It's extremely low-maintenance; you never have to do a thing with it except to pull seedlings or mulch over them in the spring.

On Dec 31, 2011, windsor224 from Haycock,Bucks County, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

One of my very favorites. Always interesting throughout it seasons. Give it a lot of room as it will have babies and fill in nicely. Transplanting of new ones is easy. They continued to grow. I just need to see if they make it through this winter in zone 6. I think they will be fine. Easy plant to share.
10/2012 all baby plants are growing nicely from last year and many more have been transplanted. Love this plant.

On Aug 2, 2011, kizilod from Uxbridge, MA wrote:

My Amsonia hubrichtii has gotten huge; it is currently 70 inches (178 cm) wide. It is growing it almost full sun, in lousy soil, right next to a sidewalk. I planted it about five years ago. It does self seed a little bit, but the seedlings are easy to pull out of the ground.

After my town poured new sidewalks, they filled in next to them with horrible soil. Grass wouldn't grow well in it, so I made a bed of tough, drought & salt tolerant perennials, including this Amsonia. Now that it is established, this plant receives no special care from me, and is thriving. I'm in Massachusetts, in zone 6.

On Jul 26, 2011, echinaceamaniac from (Clint) Medina, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

This plant is just a weed! It's floppy and ugly. The blooms don't last long and are a pale blue unattractive color. For a more appealing garden plant, see Amsonia 'Blue Ice.'

On Jan 28, 2011, AuburnR from Gaithersburg, MD wrote:

I love this plant. Spring flowers are a pretty blue, then trim it back to mound it up a bit. Fall color is yellow and stands out. Plant self-seeds but transplants easily. You can collect seeds from long thin pods; just make sure the pods are grey and dry before you take them. I have read that seeds should be sown in the fall, which I didn't do, so I'll see how they manage being sown in early spring once the ground warms a bit. They are winter hardy in zone 6-7, and are native plants. No pests, no problems after 4 years growing them.

On Apr 22, 2009, alzone7 from Gadsden, AL wrote:

I LOVE this plant. It's wonderful texture provides contrast with coarser leaved plants in the border and the golden color in fall is beautiful. Mine has been easy care and long lived.

On Aug 14, 2008, cedar18 from Lula, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I'm impressed with how nice the plant looks all the time. Very feathery texture and great fall color. The flowers are not huge or showy but it's a great asset to the border. Great contrast with large leaves like Sedum.

On Sep 20, 2006, Ladyfern from Jeffersonville, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

The plant is always attractive and shapely. Very low-maintenance--no staking, no deadheading, no pinching! No pests or diseases. What more could you ask for?

On Sep 13, 2006, corgimom from Pontotoc, MS (Zone 7b) wrote:

I look forward each spring to the beautiful soft blue blooms and dark green foliage of this graceful plant. Then, in the fall, it turns a bright yellow gold to add to your landscape.

On Jan 16, 2003, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

The foliage on this species turns a beautiful golden color in the fall. Native to Arkansas and Oklahoma.