PlantFiles: Wood Spurge
Euphorbia amygdaloides

Family: Euphorbiaceae (yoo-for-bee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Euphorbia (yoo-FOR-bee-uh) (Info)
Species: amygdaloides (am-ig-duh-LO-id-eez) (Info)

Pale Yellow

Thumbnail #6 of Euphorbia amygdaloides by ladyannne

By rwc_gardener
Thumbnail #7 of Euphorbia amygdaloides by rwc_gardener

Positive rogue08 On Sep 23, 2012, rogue08 from Mississauga

I have had this plant for 2 years now. It is in a partially shaded area in my front yard and is really beautiful. It is about 30 inches tall and wide and has a nice rounded shape with beautiful yellow flowers in the spring. I wasn't sure how to prune it but I believe I should cut the flowers off.

I noticed another user had trouble growing this in zone 5 which is where I am. I find with plants it is all about location/location/location.

Positive ladyannne On Apr 1, 2004, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

We grow the Euphorbia amygdaloides purpurpea in shaded areas where it multiplies easily. This is poisonous for bunnies.

Neutral SunshineSue On May 23, 2003, SunshineSue from Mississauga, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

I live in zone 5-5 1/2 just west of Toronto, Ontario Canada. This plant was amazing in my garden last summer, but did not survive the winter. The plant tag listed it as being to zone 5 so I thought I'd be safe with it. I've since learned that it should be hilled up with mulch around the stem & root area in the fall in this region. I'd also like to know if this plant should be cut back come spring. The stems & leaves appeared to be dead come spring, so I did cut it back as I do with all my perennials with the exception of creeping phlox. The plant did not seem to be well-rooted, was very "wiggly" in it's location & I could just about lift it out of the garden come spring. It may have "lifted" due to the heave of the freeze & thaw cycle. Any help is greatly appreciated as I'd like to try this plant again.

Neutral Terry On Mar 9, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Rounded glossy forest green foliage is upright; the whorls are reminiscent of a palm tree. Evergreen foliage looks great all winter long if protected from winter winds. Spreads underground by runners. This plant can be used in difficult shady spots, dry or moist. In early spring, flowers are large glowing lime green clusters, constrasting with the red-purple outer bracts.

This plant can get leggy; plant low-growing plants such as bergenia and primrose to cover the stems.

Martinez, California