Wood Spurge
Euphorbia amygdaloides

Family: Euphorbiaceae (yoo-for-bee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Euphorbia (yoo-FOR-bee-uh) (Info)
Species: amygdaloides (am-ig-duh-LO-id-eez) (Info)
Additional cultivar information:(aka E. Rubra, E. Purpurea, E. Purpurata)
Synonym:Characias amygdaloides

Provo, Utah

Locust Dale, Virginia

Richmond, Virginia

On May 24, 2015, DaylilySLP from Dearborn Heights, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

List of all synonyms for (Euphorbia amygdaloides) with a high confidence level:

Characias amygdaloides
Euphorbia sylvatica
Keraselma sylvaticum
Tithymalus sylvaticus

On Jun 2, 2013, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This is an exceptionally valuable perennial. It tolerates dry shade, though it prefers light shade and moist well-drained soil. The maroon foliage is a good color echo with the dark-leaved Heucheras, and both plants like the same conditions. Semi-evergreen here in Boston, and evergreen further south. The purple foliage tints are stronger with more sun.

The chartreuse flower bracts are very showy and liven pink-and-purple color schemes. Bloom occurs on the ends of last year's stems, so don't cut this plant back in your fall cleanup. Cut flowering stems to the ground after bloom to encourage fresh growth from the base. This is the only maintenance needed.

Valuable as it is, this species is being displaced in the trade by E. x martinii hybrids, which are showy bu... read more

On Sep 23, 2012, rogue08 from Mississauga

I have had this plant for 2 years now. It is in a partially shaded area in my front yard and is really beautiful. It is about 30 inches tall and wide and has a nice rounded shape with beautiful yellow flowers in the spring. I wasn't sure how to prune it but I believe I should cut the flowers off.

I noticed another user had trouble growing this in zone 5 which is where I am. I find with plants it is all about location/location/location.

On Apr 17, 2007, Leghorn from Salt Lake City, UT wrote:

Wood Spurge does well in Salt Lake City, Utah, where it gets hot in summer and down to about 0 in winter. It likes SUN. It spreads out and gets pretty big in short time. The small plants I planted a year ago are now about 18 inches by 18 inches. Seems quite hardy and easy to grow in a sunny spot. It doesn't seem to be invasive however. I love the colors. Very unusual! Red-purple leaves and green-yellow flowers! The leaves hold their color all winter, providing great "winter interest."

On Mar 19, 2005, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

Has dark burgundy foliage and flowers during spring with yellow flowers. Provides winterinterest because plant stays winter"green".

On Apr 1, 2004, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

We grow the Euphorbia amygdaloides purpurpea in shaded areas where it multiplies easily. This is poisonous for bunnies.

On May 23, 2003, SunshineSue from Mississauga, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

I live in zone 5-5 1/2 just west of Toronto, Ontario Canada. This plant was amazing in my garden last summer, but did not survive the winter. The plant tag listed it as being to zone 5 so I thought I'd be safe with it. I've since learned that it should be hilled up with mulch around the stem & root area in the fall in this region. I'd also like to know if this plant should be cut back come spring. The stems & leaves appeared to be dead come spring, so I did cut it back as I do with all my perennials with the exception of creeping phlox. The plant did not seem to be well-rooted, was very "wiggly" in it's location & I could just about lift it out of the garden come spring. It may have "lifted" due to the heave of the freeze & thaw cycle. Any help is greatly appreciated as I'd like to try thi... read more

On Mar 9, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Rounded glossy forest green foliage is upright; the whorls are reminiscent of a palm tree. Evergreen foliage looks great all winter long if protected from winter winds. Spreads underground by runners. This plant can be used in difficult shady spots, dry or moist. In early spring, flowers are large glowing lime green clusters, constrasting with the red-purple outer bracts.

This plant can get leggy; plant low-growing plants such as bergenia and primrose to cover the stems.