Paperbark Maple, Paper Bark Maple
Acer griseum

Family: Sapindaceae (sap-in-DAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Acer (AY-ser) (Info)
Species: griseum (GREE-see-um) (Info)

Pale Yellow

Inconspicuous/none

Good Fall Color

Provides winter interest

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Phenix City, Alabama

Fayetteville, Arkansas

San Carlos, California

Denver, Colorado (3 reports)

East Granby, Connecticut

Quilcene, Washington

Hudson, Wisconsin

Racine, Wisconsin

On May 30, 2015, AAbels from Brewster, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I planted this tree last fall in full sun near my driveway. It has already grown about 15 inches and has filled out significantly. The foliage and bark are beautiful and it has not yet shown any sign or sun damage.

On Aug 3, 2013, rteets from Stroudsburg, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

One of the greatest joys of this tree is winter interest. Of course, the bark is crazy beautiful all year but in the winter it really takes center stage so plant it where it can be clearly seen from a window. Mine has grown about a foot a year and now that it's around 15 feet tall it is a stunner. It is well worth a place in the garden.

On Sep 17, 2012, herrderringe from Salmon Brook, CT wrote:

Does anyone have experience growing Acer griseum from seed? I just collected them--9/17/2012--and am willing to share!

On Jun 20, 2011, lupine from King George, VA wrote:

Yes, the bark is interesting. I have one that I have grown for a little over 10 years. It is a slow grower. One problem is die-back of the branches. I cut dead out of it every year. I have seem them South of where I live in a Botanical Garden and the ones they grow also have die-back as you can see where they have pruned out the dead.

On Jun 20, 2011, SteveTiffany from Buffalo, NY wrote:

I coveted this tree for years after seeing a fully mature specimen on the campus of Purdue University - absolutely stunning. I have grown this tree in Salt Lake City, Utah and now in Buffalo, New York with absolutely no problems. The leaves seem immune to any insects or diseases. The fall color is very attractive, and, of course, the peeling bark with contrasting deep and light cinnamon tones is delightful. The tree is a slow grower, and you can expect to pay a pretty penny for even a modestly sized plant. Plant one now and your grandchildren will thank you.

On Oct 24, 2009, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

The University of Tennessee Knoxville office recommends Acer griseum as a tree suitable for planting near septic lines.

We purchased an 8-foot tall specimen for our front lawn, after having two huge silver maples removed last fall. (They were way too big for the area, and way too close to power lines and the septic field.)

Given the photos we've seen and the information we've read, we're looking forward to watching this tree show off each fall and slowly mature to its full height of 25 feet or so...it will be much more in scale with our single-story home and the surrounding landscape.

On Mar 16, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Acer griseum PAPERBARK MAPLE Dec (z5) (Bon)
"One of the most beautiful of all small trees" (Hillier); red-brown bark peels in fine strips; spectacular scarlet fall color Sun-PSh/Med

On Apr 21, 2005, joshz8a from z8a, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

After seeing photos and seeing it recommended on almost any "desirable trees" list in numerous books, I bought the first I saw in a local nursery. It was only 12" tall but already the bark was flaking and it had lovely foliage and form. I've grown it for 8 years now in a 12-inch clay pot. It's only 36-inches tall but a beautiful little tree...delightful watching the new leaves unfold each year and then in fall as they turn red. It's not authentic bonsai...I just enjoy growing hardy shrubs and trees in pots and they usually do well for me in z8a. This is one of my favorites! josh z8a