PlantFiles: Potato Onion, Multiplier Onion, Hill Onion, Mother Onion, Pregnant Onion
Allium cepa var. aggregatum 'Yellow Potato'

Family: Alliaceae
Genus: Allium (AL-ee-um) (Info)
Species: cepa var. aggregatum
Cultivar: Yellow Potato

Vegetables

Pale Pink
Pale Yellow
Inconspicuous/none

Blue-Green
Aromatic

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse
By tip layering

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Positive eukofios On Jul 7, 2012, eukofios from Vancouver, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

My great aunt Emma grew these in her yard, 55 years ago. Mine are from a seed / plant exchange. I've been growing them for about 10 years. I love the flavor - much more complex than most onions, raw or cooked. They are mild, not hot. I like them better than shallots. Planted in the fall, small ones grow into one or two large onions. Large is a relative term - they are about the size of an apricot or plum. Large ones split and become a half dozen or more small ones, the size of pearl onions. Thus, plant small ones to get big ones, and plant big ones to obtain small ones to plant for next year. It doesn't work out exact, so if starting entirely with small or entirely with large, they still become a mix of sizes. I almost decimated my crop when I could not get to them to weed, and the weeds smothered them out, and a well meaning person pulled out most of the rest for scallions. I was able to scrounge a half dozen to start over. Figuring, one big one gives 6 small next year, gives 6 big the following year, gives 36 small the year after, etc. So it takes time to get enough to eat lots, unless you start with lots. I have grown then in containers and in the ground, and both methods work well. They are worth it. I like them a lot.

Neutral AnitTina On Sep 16, 2011, AnitTina from Eustis, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

There are joesonions on ebay has them and 2 types of walking onions also

Positive texasflora_com On Oct 16, 2010, texasflora_com from De Leon, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

My grandparents always had these onions but I've been unable to acquire any so far, but I do have Egyptian walking onions to trade.

West Fork, Arkansas