Florida Anise, Red Magnolia

Illicium floridanum

Family: Illiciaceae
Genus: Illicium (il-LISS-ee-um) (Info)
Species: floridanum (flor-ih-DAY-num) (Info)

Partial to Full Shade

Navarre, Florida

Oldsmar, Florida

Pensacola, Florida

Quincy, Florida

Atlanta, Georgia (2 reports)

Decatur, Georgia

West Columbia, South Carolina

Tomball, Texas

Roanoke, Virginia

On Sep 29, 2015, Fires_in_motion from Vacherie, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant died for me in fairly deep shade, in our clayish soil several blocks from the bank of the Mississippi River. I watered it quite a bit, perhaps too much? I will try it again someday in a slightly brighter spot, with more acidic soil. For me, Illicium parviflorum has done way better, and is one of my favorite native plants, period.

On May 20, 2014, longjonsilverz from Centreville, MD wrote:

This plant thrives here in Eastern Maryland. Apart from the strange smell of the flowers, these are an excellent choice for landscape. 2013/14 was one of the coldest winters in many years for this area and my Florida Anise's showed no cold damage at all. Temperatures were close to 0F during many nights and wind chills as low as -30F. These are much hardier than my Yellow Anise trees (Illicium parviflorum) which mostly defoliated by the end of winter, but recovered in spring.

The red flowers are a nice contrast to the dark green leaves when grown in the shade. There is a hybrid called "woodland ruby" which is apparently crossed with the similar Mexican Anise which has extended flowering time and larger, brighter red flowers. It did nearly as good with the 13'/14' wint... read more

On Aug 31, 2012, Ronnie_Irby from Meridian, MS wrote:

This tree grows naturally on my property located near Energy, Mississippi along a creek known as Irby Mill Creek in Clarke County. The information on this plant/tree that I have read is incomplete as the references all seem to state the maximum tree height is about 25 feet. Not true, for there are many trees in the very large "grove" on Irby Mill Creek that far exceed 50 feet tall. These mother plants sprout trees from the roots as one means of propagation, and also seedlings sprout from seeds. There are thousands of these sprouts/trees along the creek, and they are everywhere on the 5+ acre portion of my property through the creek flows, growing at a sea-level elevation of 300- 400 ft.

Who wants to buy them?

On Nov 3, 2010, Centaurea from Almere
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

Has survived 2 winters here in Roanoke, VA, zone 6b/7a (including "Snowmageddon") against a south-facing retaining wall in part-shade under an azalea perched atop the wall (mid-day shade) with no protection other than mulch. Very pretty little shrub.

On Aug 4, 2004, psychloman from Brooklyn, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is probably the most perfect, elegant shrub I own. I've had it for about five years now and every April it's hung with little red star shaped flowers. The growth habit is globe shaped but not dense. This shrub has perfect poise. I garden in Brooklyn, new York.

On Aug 31, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Anise Trees are a little-known group of evergreen shrubs and trees. Their thick, glossy foliage emits an anise-scent when bruised.

I. flordanum is native to Florida and Louisiana; its maroon flowers are heavily scented, and most find it unpleasant.