PlantFiles: Duranta
Duranta erecta var. aurea

Family: Verbenaceae (ver-be-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Duranta (door-AN-tuh) (Info)
Species: erecta var. aurea

Synonym:Duranta repens var. aurea

Pale Pink
Violet/Lavender

Blue-Green
Chartreuse/Yellow

Flowers are good for cutting

From hardwood cuttings

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing
Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By cactus_lover

Thumbnail #6 of Duranta erecta var. aurea by BlissfulGarden

By BlissfulGarden
Thumbnail #7 of Duranta erecta var. aurea by BlissfulGarden

Positive lalark On Nov 6, 2013, lalark from Springdale, AR wrote:

We've owned this problem free, beautifully flowering plant for several years. On a whim, the first winter after purchase we trimmed it back and placed it in the garage interior to see how it would do. Put it out in spring (after frost) and it bounced back very nicely. The butterflies and hummers enjoy it as well. Warning: Initially, when the plant was small it had some thorns, but now that it's six feet tall we have not noted any. It could just be a correlation, but use caution.

Positive creativeblossoms57 On Jul 23, 2013, creativeblossoms57 from Oakley, KS wrote:

I have a Duranta plant. I recently planted in a ceramic planter. Somehow the plant got broken right below the tree top. It was doing great. It has some other sprouts coming out of the base of the tree. I don't know if it can be saved. Will it winter if planted in the ground?

Positive OperaLady On Oct 21, 2009, OperaLady from Austin, TX wrote:

I have purchased 3 Duranta repens Amethyst Rain plants. I love these plants. First, they are evergreen. Second they bloom profusely. Third, knock wood, so far the deer do not seem to eat them. Two of my plants I have grown as topiaries for my front porch. So lovely. The third I keep as a bush and have been able to divide it up into several plantings. I'm in Austin, TX and even with our brutally hot summer these plants did great.

Positive broncbuster On Jul 25, 2007, broncbuster from Waxahachie, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I like this shrub for it's form, it's light green foliage, it's bicolored purple/white blooms, and for it's bright yellow berries. Be careful as the berries are poisonous!

Positive KatG On Mar 27, 2007, KatG from Port Charlotte, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

This is such a wonderful landscape plant. It's a lovely color and provides a nice contrast with it's lime green and gold leaves. It's very sturdy but retains a nice shape with minimal pruning. Also can be hedged. I also have a Duranta tree, which produces the most delicate and gorgeous purple flowers when in bloom. It's just a great overall plant!

Grenoble,
Milton, Florida
Port Charlotte, Florida
Pukalani, Hawaii
Oakley, Kansas
Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)
Gonzales, Louisiana
Humble, Texas
Liberty Hill, Texas
Port Arthur, Texas
Salado, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (3 reports)
Spring, Texas