PlantFiles: Curled Tansy, Curly Tansy, Double Tansy, Fern-leaf Tansy, Fernleaf Golden Buttons
Tanacetum vulgare var. crispum

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tanacetum (TAN-uh-SEE-tum) (Info)
Species: vulgare var. crispum
Additional cultivar information: (aka Crispum)

Synonym:Tanacetum crispum

Herbs

By mgarr
Thumbnail #1 of Tanacetum vulgare var. crispum by mgarr

By absinthe27
Thumbnail #2 of Tanacetum vulgare var. crispum by absinthe27

Negative coriaceous On Mar 20, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Four states have declared this a noxious weed.

I found the species to be aggressively weedy, and I don't find it attractive enough to put in the time and energy it takes to control it while cultivating it. Getting rid of it wasn't too hard, though, through a combination of digging it out and spot-application of glyphosate herbicide.

Neutral imahaug On Aug 22, 2013, imahaug from Manistique, MI wrote:

I attended a wildflower workshop last night. I took in a sample of a beautiful yellow multiple small bud tall plant with ferny leaves growing along the highway which I want to grow in my garden. It was identified by the Hiawatha National Forest plant person as a non-native plant here in Manistique Michigan and tends to be invasive. She said there was a native Tansy which was OK, but it had bigger blossoms with a feathery edge on the blossoms. Which of the Tansys listed above is the native one?

Positive DenaBolton On Apr 14, 2010, DenaBolton from Johnson City, TN wrote:

Because of tansy, I have not been bothered by mosquitoes for about 15 years. It is an absolutely wonderful repellent! Also, if you ever are bothered by ants in your house, place some tansy around, which will drive the ants away. In my Zone 6 region of NE TN, this plant is extremely hardy. In fact, the only negative thing I have to say about it is that tansy is extremely invasive. Most people will probably want to grow it in a large pot. It requires very little care and is not picky about its soil or light conditions. (I have tansy growing in both full sun and almost full shade.) Just cut it down at the end of the season and forget about it until the following spring. Tansy has also been used as a culinary herb; however, I would not recommend it. It can be toxic if the amount is much more than just a very little bit. It is difficult for most home gardeners to determine how much is too much, so just don't try eating it. (Yes, it can cause death.) Just let it look pretty in your landscape and help to keep the mosquitoes away.

Positive ansonfan On Feb 16, 2006, ansonfan from Polkton, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

When I first received these plants from a family member, I didn't know what they were called. I now know they are called Fern-leaf Tansy. I have had them in an east facing bed against the house for 2 years and they are very healthy, beautiful plants. They need very little attention. I have them planted in red clay and put a balanced fertilizer on them in Spring. They also seem to repel mosquitos. They don't seem to be as invasive as the standard leaf.

Lawrenceville, Georgia