PlantFiles: Virginia Bluebells, Virginia Cowslip, Lungwort Oysterleaf
Mertensia virginica

Family: Boraginaceae
Genus: Mertensia (mer-TEN-see-uh) (Info)
Species: virginica (vir-JIN-ih-kuh) (Info)

Synonym:Mertensia pulmonarioides

Partial to Full Shade

Medium Blue
Violet/Lavender

Blue-Green

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse
From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Thumbnail #1 of Mertensia virginica by Toxicodendron

Thumbnail #5 of Mertensia virginica by lupinelover

Thumbnail #6 of Mertensia virginica by Toxicodendron

Thumbnail #7 of Mertensia virginica by Toxicodendron

Positive coriaceous On Jun 1, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This is one of the most distinguished of spring ephemerals. The bell-shaped flowers are often pink in bud and turn true sky-blue as they open (though on the occasional plant they remain pink). Flowers are produced in May here, and all top growth disappears as plants go dormant in June.

Native to moist deciduous woodlands of the central and eastern US, they love moist well-drained woodland conditions---sun in early spring, with increasing shade in May. Under suitable conditions they can self-sow. After a few years, the thick black roots can be divided as plants are going dormant.

These plants are most conveniently and economically obtained as dormant roots for fall planting from mail order sellers of fall bulbs. I plant them 18" apart. They may require a year or two to reach blooming size, but in a few more years clumps can get large.

Positive plant_it On Jun 17, 2013, plant_it from Valparaiso, IN wrote:

My neighbor has a huge expanse of Virginia Bluebells in his woods and it's such a beautiful sight to behold. I bought a half dozen and planted them. They came back the next year but I know I have some time to wait until they fill in properly.

Positive yaga On Jan 10, 2012, yaga from świdnica
Poland wrote:

I live in Poland. I found my first plant in forest. Actually ripped one out by accident and it ended with close to no roots. I planted it nonteless. I stayed "flat" for few days bot then it started to grow as if nothing happened. Now I have several large bunches, but in shade and sunny places, that grow nice and fast and bloom twice a year, through spring blooming is more abundant. After blooming leaves make nice background to some higher plants or undercover to bushes. Sometimes some of the leaves stay on during the winter, under the snow. I can only reccomend this plant. Is extremaly easy in taking care of - in the garden it takes care of itself - totally "fool proof" ^&^

Positive delbertyoung56m On Apr 19, 2011, delbertyoung56m from Medina, NY wrote:

I put in just one plant last year after it bloomed, and it survived the Winter and bloomed this Spring. Hoping it will naturalize a bit. I saw river valley full of them at Allerton Park in Monticello, Illlinois.

Positive shadydame On May 14, 2010, shadydame from North Walpole, NH (Zone 5a) wrote:

I purchased about 5 of these plants via mail-order last spring. They did not survive, as something ate all the leaves. (I later found out that these were slugs.) I figured that the plants were goners, but they came back like gangbusters this spring! They are doing well, and I am attempting slug control this year.

Positive Buttoneer On Apr 19, 2010, Buttoneer from Carlisle, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I dug one of these up last year & they died down in the pot so fast, I thought I lost it, so I left it in the pot and it came up all by itself and was spreading in the pot. It is blooming now but the flowers are tiny. When it dies down, I'll plant the dirt in the pot and hopefully next year, the flowers will be normal size. Just love this flower. Shame it dies to the ground, but that's nature.

Neutral omasuziq On Apr 12, 2010, omasuziq from Greensboro, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

I haven't grown this plant myself, but from the pictures it reminds me of pulmonaria (lungwort), although the leaves don't look as mottled. I notice it is also referred to as mertensia pulmonoiodes (spelling?) so maybe there is some distant relationship. Pulmonaria's foliage is longer lasting, however.

Positive waplummer On Apr 12, 2010, waplummer from Painted Post, NY wrote:

I have seen huge expanses of Virginia bluebells in the wild and I am attempting to duplicate that in my garden on a bank. It self sows for me and I transplant small seedlings to fill in. A mature plant has such a large taproot that I hesitate to try to divide a clump. As for going dormant, the bank is 6-12 feet from the path and there are ferns, Solomon Seals and Bugbane, Twinleaf so they are "out of sight, out of mind" (not really) the rest of the year.

Positive littlelamb On Jul 10, 2009, littlelamb from Virginia Beach, VA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I planted these plants about 4-5 years ago without any clue on what they would do. They are absolutely gorgeous when they are in bloom. They bloom about March/April so I do not need to do any maintenence to them since our Spring rains do the watering for me and they die back when they are done. The flower buds start off pink but then the flower blooms into the bright blue color and the leaves are just as pretty. Make sure you plant another plants around them that come up later so it will fill in the area when they go dormant (such as hostas).

Positive JulieBW On May 10, 2009, JulieBW from Geneseo, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

The Genesee Valley Conservancy has sponsored a bluebell walk for the past few years. It is a two mile each way hike on private land to a spot along the Genesee River where these plants have naturalized and spread as far as you can see. Spectacular! I also have had them in my garden, but keep accidentally digging them up after they go dormant...

Positive hymenocallis On Jul 10, 2008, hymenocallis from Auburn, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

I bought Mertensia on e-bay several years ago and when they came to me there were 2 big rhizomes that I couldn't tell up from down. So I just planted them. Here in SC Alabama they bloom in March and since I got them they have not spread but they make about 4-6 sprays of flowers per plant which is spectacular to most folks who see them.

Positive Annepaola On Apr 26, 2008, Annepaola from Manahawkin, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have been trying to establish this plant by purchased root pieces, seeds, and purchased plants and I also received some plants as gifts. Finally this spring I have a fairly respectable group of flower stalks, and I am hoping to retrieve some seeds to further enhance my group of bluebells. We grow them in half sun/shade near a birdbath and I try to water them often.

I fell in love with them upon making their acquaintance at the Brandywine Museum along the Brandywine river. (Del or PA).
They were swaths of blue along with what I believe to be marsh marigolds.

If the individual who finds them invasive and votes negative would contact me I will drive to their garden and dig up as many as s/he will allow, and my car will hold. Thanks. My husband got some beautiful shots of our plants this spring but none quite as great as the first one noted on 4/21.

Negative gretznarf On May 2, 2007, gretznarf from New Berlin, WI wrote:

Yes this plant has pretty blue flowers and a sweet fragrance and blooms fairly early in the season giving needed color to my very shady yard, it is also VERY invasive. Because it goes dormant in June, it leaves large ugly barren patches in my woods. I would prefer plants in my woods that stay green all summer or at least not prevent other plants from growing in the area. I moved into this house about 3 years ago and inherited these flowers. Since I have lived here their colonies have more than doubled in size and have spread to much of my lawn. I wouldn't mind these flowers if they would stay in one place and not take over the yard.

Positive bluespiral On Mar 5, 2007, bluespiral from (Zone 7a) wrote:

There are two clumps that have been blooming profusely, unattended, for a long time, on opposite sides of a tree trunk in our local deer-ridden park system - have not seen it growing anywhere else there.

However, Virginia bluebells have made large colonies at Lilypons in Frederick, Maryland in a part of their open woods, and the flowers are a sight to behold - not to mention the egrets, great and green herons, a possible cormorant, etc. that love the aquatic environment.

Positive Marilynbeth On Nov 18, 2006, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

One of my favorite plants and favorite Spring flowers! I let them go to seed and get free volunteers! I also buy new roots and plant new plants most every year. I love it!

Very beautiful and very beautiful blue!

Positive melody On Apr 8, 2006, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

These bloom in early April here in West KY and are quite beautiful along the creekbanks and woods. They have a delicate fragrance, but when you come upon a large group of them, it's refreshing and quite nice.

The common name Lungwort refers to the belief that the plant had medicinal properties that helped with respiratory ailments.

Positive howards On Apr 7, 2006, howards from Beaverton, OR wrote:

Virginia bluebells even have a wonderful, delicate fragrance.

Positive Malus2006 On Mar 13, 2006, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

The Virginia Bluebell may need staking, as mine tend to droop down into the annual beds and leaves seedlings, instead of more seedlings in the wood area. Will thrive with south slope spring sun in part shade, but also planted in woodland shade. The soil it grows in is sandy and neutral (tend toward alkaline). A few references has a variegated form of this species but it is unstable and very hard to find. Try planting Virginia Bluebell with woodland phlox and native Jacobs Ladder, P. repens. Both species bloom a bit latter than Virginia Bluebell but has similar shades of lavender to pinks and make nice company plants!
Additional Information May 2008: They will go straight dormant and they are for some reason not consider native to Minnesota even thought they will thrive there. They seem to seed heavily in areas where there are bare soils and also like to come up near my hostas as their crown tend to be a bit higher than the leaves around them but will come up in leaves but at lower density. Seedlings tend to be rather simple in appearance, with two bright green seedleaves with a single true leaf growing at a steep angle opposite the seedleaves. Take several years to reach mature size, first a few leaves the second year, a mound of leaves or a single flower stalk (depending on light or moisture) the third year, then more flower stalks the years after - but will decline if there is competition or too dry soils.

Positive Gabrielle On Jan 15, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Blooms April-May in my garden. I look forward to the Virginia Bluebells coming up every spring; it is nice to see such lush growth so early. The first year I had it, I just knew I had killed it when it died back for the summer! Naturalizes quickly.

Positive sanity101 On May 21, 2005, sanity101 from Dublin, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

Very slow to establish, but large and impressive once settled. Similar habit to bleeding hearts: explodes and flowers early spring, then falls into a dead wilted heap by mid-June. Mine grows to roughly a 3' sphere. Doesn't really need watering, as spring is wet enough, and nothing will revive it after it goes dormant for summer anyway. I find bleeding heart flowers more showy and desirable for something that's not going to be around long, but these are very pretty by their own right.
(plants referenced grown in full shade under deciduous trees in clay/loam soil).

Positive KDePetrillo On Mar 28, 2004, KDePetrillo from North Scituate, RI (Zone 6a) wrote:

Very easy to grow; plants spread naturally when happy. Very little care required: I have never watered or fertilized my plants in the 15 years I've had them. The plant gets rather ragged while going dormant, but the flowers are lovely. (Zone 5/6)

Positive lupinelover On Apr 2, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Virginia bluebells emerge in late winter, and very quickly bloom. As the seed ripens, the plant goes dormant. A late-emerging perennial or spreading annual will hide the bare spaces very well.

The rhizomes become very large and woody with age. Best to transplant young ones; the old ones usually fail to thrive.

Volunteers sprout where they are happy, leading to ever-enlarging colonies in woodlands.

Neutral Terry On Aug 31, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

This beautiful native is a relative of Myosotis (forget-me-not). Flowers are usually pink to lavender, but some open to blue. The plant will die back in hot weather, so plan on filling in with a summer annual to provide continuous color.

Auburn, Alabama
Wayland, Massachusetts
Mason, Michigan
Royal Oak, Michigan
Williamston, Michigan
Minneapolis, Minnesota (3 reports)
Cole Camp, Missouri
Vancouver, Washington
Great Cacapon, West Virginia
Liberty, West Virginia
Brookfield, Wisconsin
Madison, Wisconsin (2 reports)
New Berlin, Wisconsin