PlantFiles: Evergreen Candytuft
Iberis sempervirens

Family: Brassicaceae (brass-ih-KAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Iberis (eye-BEER-is) (Info)
Species: sempervirens (sem-per-VY-renz) (Info)

Synonym:Iberis commutata

Alpines and Rock Gardens

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Thumbnail #6 of Iberis sempervirens by designart

By Joan
Thumbnail #7 of Iberis sempervirens by Joan

Positive JonthanJ On Nov 21, 2012, JonthanJ from Logansport, IN wrote:

This has done well in my scree. A healthy seedling I found this fall as the frost killed off the weeds in my crushed limestone drive certainly demonstrated a remarkable tolerance for alkaline sites.

Positive upnorth2 On Jul 24, 2012, upnorth2 from Davenport, WA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Ill try not to be too wordy:
From my experience, the plant grows profusely and happily, flowering the whole time, from November to March in Concan, Texas (we snowbird there in the winter). It also is happy and blooming from April through May in Eastern Washington (where we spend our summers). From May to July in E. Wash, it is green and happy, but no flowers. Ive heard it is NOT DEER RESISTANT, but WE HAVE HAD NOOO TROUBLE WITH DEER OR RABBITS IN IT YET . Our dogs are out in the yard all day, but are put inside during the evening, and the deer, at night, (8 to 20 in a herd each year) traverse our back yard fence-line early morning and late evening, and jump easily in and out over the 3 foot fence we have, so have full access to it.
I will cut it to the ground when we leave in November, as I do all my green plants (to help them not to tempt the deer till the snow covers them while we are gone), and Ill try to remember to let you all know if they survived the winter here, when I get back in April. I think our summer zone in E. Wash is 5b.

Positive RobSand On May 2, 2012, RobSand from Richmond, VA wrote:

I live in Richmond, VA and started several plants from seeds and the plants are now taking over the small sunny bed where they were planted. They have now stopped blooming (Ap 2nd) after two months of beautiful color. I am thinking of dividing and moving plants to new areas, but not sure about the best time to do this.

Positive Munga On Mar 29, 2011, Munga from Weatherford, TX wrote:

This is a gorgeous plant. It grows well in North Central Texas. I have mine planted underneath a tree in nearly all day shade; but not necessarily deep shade. My soil is very sandy. It flowers every year by the end of March. Sometimes it will flower again in late summer. It is semi-evergreen here. It needs more water in summer due to our extreme heat and lack of rain. Mine has never re-seeded or spread. It has become leggy a time or two and I've trimmed it back severely in late fall and it comes back nicely the following spring. I love this plant. It brightens up the spot it's in and everyone asks me what it is when they see it. I have been able to propogate from cuttings but it's a delicate operation and they do not always sprout. I will try using root stimulator this season. I had some planted in all day sun and it scorched and died... so it's not happy in full sun in my neck of the woods.

Negative suewylan On Oct 20, 2010, suewylan from North Fork, CA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Deer eat this...in Central California foothills

Positive bluespiral On Mar 2, 2007, bluespiral from (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is one of those low, edging/carpeting plants that makes everyone behind it look better than they otherwise might.

While our seed-grown candytuft had enough sun, it cascaded down a 4' stone retaining wall for about 8 linear feet and made a very beautiful waterfall of pristine white beneath the hybrid musk rose 'Cornelia.

But it seems we've been having ice storms in February more frequently in recent years, and this devastates the top and diminishes the April flowering. The plant rebounds after a haircut to clothe the top of the wall and Cornelia's toes with more respectable leaves - am letting a cream and gray-green variegated vinca minor duke it out with the candytuft in the shade of the magnolia growing above. So far, Cornelia has been thriving in this spot - tough rose.

Neutral zillabug On May 22, 2006, zillabug from Cato, NY wrote:

We have had too much success growing this plant. It's planted on the west side of the house in a sandy loam soil. It's very drought tolerant, and fairly aggresive. I have to seriously 'prune it' back every other year. It's a prolific, early bloomer, but we have noticed a peculiar unpleasent odor that is more prevelent on wet days or early in the morning. It's not a plant I would place near an entrance or walk.

Positive woodspirit1 On Mar 18, 2006, woodspirit1 from Lake Toxaway, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

I am surprised about the insistance of full sun for these plants. Mine is only in the sun about 1 or 2 hours a day. Then it is mostly in shade, but not dark shade. It is very pretty, and remains green all winter. It has not spread very fast, but then again, it is in a rock garden right above some pavement so it can't spread any further downhill. I did not know it liked "sweet" soil; mine is very acid.
It blooms very prettily, a nice contrast to its dark evergreen leaves. I promise I will add some lime to it.

Positive Gabrielle On Jan 27, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

A very nice looking plant year round. I takes the heat of summer well. I have a couple of varieties of this and am happy with both. My information says it is hardy in zones 3-10.

Positive SalmonMe On Oct 23, 2004, SalmonMe from Springboro, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Great evergreen mound in wintertime. Shear after blooms fade in spring to keep the habit looking nice. May also encourage rebloom in fall depending on zone. This plant is low-maitenance provided it has well draining soil. It grows well in rock gardens. Warmer zones need to protect it from winter sun/winds.

Positive pokerboy On Sep 3, 2004, pokerboy from Canberra
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant forms a very dense carpet of foliage with delightful white flowers. Enjoys full sun. pokerboy.

Neutral phalvorson On May 22, 2004, phalvorson from Panama City, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

We had trouble growing this plant in the Florida panhandle. Even though it was watered every other day, the humidity and hot Florida sun made it appear gangly and ratty looking over time. We eventually had to give up on it.

Neutral Ladyfern On Aug 4, 2003, Ladyfern from Jeffersonville, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

I've had the same plant now for 8 years, so it is long lived, but it has not grown in that time! It is in good soil in a NE exposure and looks good, but does not grow or self seed. The flowers are a lovely pristine white in spring and the foliage is attractive year round.

Positive poppysue On Jan 22, 2003, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

Easy and care-free. This is a great plant for hot, sunny spots. Plants will re-seed and form large clumps. I have it spilling over the edge of my retaining wall and it always puts on a nice show.

Neutral Baa On Aug 25, 2002, Baa wrote:

An evergreen subshrub from Southern Europe.

Has oblong, deep green, smooth leaves. Bears heads of pure white, sometimes blushed lilac pink flowers.

Flowers Late April-July

Likes a moist but well-drained, fertile soil in full sun.

Can be pruned lightly after flowering to retain the shape and tidyness.

A nice easy plant for a border valued because it flowers when many spring plants are finishing and summer bloomers haven't quite started.

Alabaster, Alabama
Ashland, Oregon
Hillsboro, Oregon
Norristown, Pennsylvania
Schwenksville, Pennsylvania
Conway, South Carolina (2 reports)
Fort Mill, South Carolina