PlantFiles: Hollyhock
Alcea rosea 'Outhouse'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Alcea (al-KEE-uh) (Info)
Species: rosea (RO-zee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Outhouse

Pale Yellow
Violet/Lavender
Maroon (Purple-Brown)

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By Kathleen
Thumbnail #1 of Alcea rosea by Kathleen

By Kathleen
Thumbnail #2 of Alcea rosea by Kathleen

Positive Kathleen On Jul 28, 2008, Kathleen from Panama, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

My hollyhocks came originally from my grandmother's house. She had them on the east side of the house and there was another bunch down by the milkhouse on the south end of the barn. She gave me seeds and later I got more seeds from my brother who now owns the farm. We have them along the back of the house, down the west side, below the drive way and on the northeast corner of our barn, along with a few other spots. My DH once said there was a spot in the back 40 where he didn't think there were any at all. Hollyhocks were planted around outhouses to camouflage that particular necessity and to get the hollyhocks at a bit of a distance. They were considered a coarse plant by the more fastidious Victorian ladies. I am, needless to say, fond of them, and don't mind them being a bit closer.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 4, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have not grown these. I am just providing info on these great old-fashioned plants.

This classic variety has graced outbuildings on Iowa farmsteads for over a century. Single blooms of white, light pink, pinkish-red, magenta and burgundy. Years ago, refined ladies just looked for the hollyhocks and didn't have to ask where the outhouse was. Blooms the second year in the North or first year in more moderate, long-seasoned climates. Self-seeding biennial, 6-9' tall.

Panama, New York