African Violet
Saintpaulia 'Optimara Little Pawnee'

View gallery
Family: Gesneriaceae (ges-ner-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Saintpaulia (saint-PAWL-ee-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Optimara Little Pawnee
Additional cultivar information:(aka Optimara Little Pawnee Girl)
Hybridized by Holtkamp

Leaf Texture:

Glossy/shiny

Hairy/fuzzy

Leaf Color:

Red Back (or red reverse)

Propagation:

May be propagated by cuttings (leaf, sucker, or bloom stalk)

Brooksville, Florida

Palm Bay, Florida

Springfield, Louisiana

Ellerbe, North Carolina

Collinsville, Oklahoma

Beaver Springs, Pennsylvania

Bluffton, South Carolina

On Nov 9, 2009, 6ftund from Dallas, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

I live in North Dallas and have a few different varieties that I purchased from Lowe's for about $5 each; all came from the same grower (Optimara). They all sit in my large north window and I couldn't be happier with how well they're doing (after 5 years)! It is my understanding that these varieties bloom more than others -I can surely attest to that! All I do is feed them their special African Violet plant food mixed into water, keep them moist-ish and trimmed up as needed.

I have tried them in different exposures, but North is definitely the ideal location for them at my house. They're so perfect that they look like fake plants!

On Aug 24, 2007, jannich from Andalusia, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Optimara Little Pawnee (8962) 01/31/2001 (Holtkamp) Single medium blue sticktite. Medium green, pointed, glossy, hairy/red back. Semiminiature

On Mar 5, 2007, Plantcrazii from Dallas, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This African violet has a sticktite blossom and will bloom a lot longer than a normal African violet. Sticktite is a modern hybrid African violet with non-dropping blossoms. I am going to be on the lookout for more of these to add to my collection.