Scarlet Passion Flower, Passionflower, Red Granadilla, Maracujį-poranga, Passion Vine, Passionvine
Passiflora coccinea

Family: Passifloraceae (pas-ih-flor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Passiflora (pass-iff-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Species: coccinea (kok-SIN-ee-uh) (Info)

USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F)

USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)

USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

From hardwood cuttings

From hardwood heel cuttings

By air layering

Skipperville, Alabama

Alameda, California

San Diego, California (2 reports)

Walnut Creek, California

Ama, Louisiana

Magnolia, Texas

Spring, Texas

On Apr 21, 2013, s_edwards from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

One positive thing about growing passaflora or passion vine is that it is the host plant for the Gulf Fritillary butterfly.

On Jan 14, 2013, amagarden from Ama, LA wrote:

Red passionvine flowers just about year round in my garden, which is just upriver of New Orleans, La. It has never frozen & gets bigger by the year. Of course, we have had very mild winters.

I have dug up seedlings for friends & tell them to baby them in a pot for a while before putting into the ground.

On Nov 10, 2011, AnnabelleLee from South Congaree, SC wrote:

I live in South Carolina and grew up with the purple passion vine growing everywhere in the wild. We called them Maypops. When I saw this beautiful red species at a nursery I bought three and planted them beside a wooden fence. They have spread at the very least 30 feet from the original plants in one season. They have strangled and killed every shrub,plant and weed in their path. They have grown over my 8 foot fence and into the neighbors yard. People who visit me ask if it is KUDZU. I have gardened for 30 years or so, and never came across something like this. I can't even see my fence anymore. I wonder if winter will kill it back to the root, and I can clean up the giant mess. I have no doubt I will be stuck with it for the rest of my life...unless I move. Seriously this is the most agg... read more

On Mar 25, 2005, mutant from Houston, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

No doubt passifloras are my favorite flower this "granadilla" was given to me last fall and it's my second red passiflora the other one is all red (stem and flower) The "incense kind it's so fragant!(and purple) and the yellow kind are just a burst of color!
The friend who gave me this one told me was on sale for $1.99 (!) and bought it because knows how much I like this kind I send him a copy of the first pictures with a big thank you.
My "granadilla" does not clim much

On Sep 20, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

This plant was growing on a chainlink fence in the back yard of a house I bought in St. Petersburg, Florida, zone 9b, but it never fruited even though I had beautiful red flowers every year. Yesterday someone brought me some red colored passionflower fruit--we ate it and and it was absolutely delicious. I saved some seed and will be starting it next spring because the fruit was so delicious, and a nice size too, but I'm wondering if it is from this plant.

Does anyone know the actual color of P. coccinea's fruit? My Southern Living Garden book says the fruit is suppose to be a mottled orange or yellow, and rather good tasting, but these fruit were a deep coral red--almost a wine red--and I suppose they could be called mottled. The fruit we ate yesterday was bought from ... read more

On Jul 28, 2003, olds88lady from Macon, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I live in Zone 8 A just below the fall line. I planted this early last summer/spring and it grew like crazy. I transplanted it when I moved my garden to a different area and it did not come back up but we did have a very unusually cold and wet winter.

On Jul 27, 2003, mizy51 from Skipperville, AL wrote:

I'm in zone 8 so the vine is not evergreen for me. It does return every year with very vigorous growth throughout the summer. Blooms appear for me starting in July and continue until the first hard freeze.

On Jul 27, 2003, Thaumaturgist from Rockledge, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

The petals resort to 3 distinctly different configurations
in 3 different times of the day.
The opening in the morning and closing in the evening
are very different from each other while the petals
stay fully open and stretched out during the daytime.
I have used 3 photos to capture the 3 configurations.